Take apart - put together syndrome

Oooooh!! You have the Healing Aura!!!!

Cool!

Gunner, traveling Service Tech

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I used to get a call over the radio from the dispatcher when I was three or four blocks from my next job, that the equipment had started working. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nothing saying it still works when I get 52 yards away :{

Reply to
clare

I don't have that problem. I show up and the machine starts working which frustrates the person that called me.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That was when memory chips cost a significant fraction of the cost of the board on which they were installed and it was beneficial to be able to replace an individual (bad) chip.

And the common repair used to be to lift the computer (no hard disk installed) a few inches off the table, hold it parallel to the table and drop it to re-seat the chips. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Or to remove the chip, shove a goos machined pin IC socket into the cheaper formed pin tyoe, then inset the chip into the new socket?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:45:22 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Don't forget the majik words "Now, what seems to be the problem with this?" Fixes things up, right quick.

pyotr former VW mechanic.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

To the point where they don't want to pay for a service call. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

frustrates the

Then theres the temporary faulty car starter problem. Best cure is to have mans oldest tool handy, thump the starter a couple of times then it will work fine all week. And dont forget to slam the hood down well.This always helps.

Reply to
Ted Frater

I too have experienced this numerous times... always makes me nervous.

Along the same lines is when someone asks me to 'take a look at something', then together we can't make the damned thing act up to save our asses. They're always embarrassed: often going on about the 'magic touch' and all that jazz...

I know they wouldn't be there had they not experienced something alarming, and suspect they'll fear further embarrassment returning if/when/should said symptoms return. I always try to explain to them that this isn't a new phenomena, and that I certainly possess no mechanical/electrical/electronic 'supernatural powers', and please not to hesitate contacting if said issues continue.

I hate both these situations... I'd MUCH rather deal with something concrete than be left in the 'twilight zone'

Erik

Reply to
Erik

And that's exactly where I am right now with the wife's car . Still don't know what the problem was , and I'm just waiting for the "other shoe to drop" . So far it's not given any more problems , but ... Sometimes I miss the days of points and carbs . At least they were easier to diagnose and repair . What really sucked about this one was that the scanner wouldn't link up , making any diagnosis a shot in the dark .

Reply to
Snag

Customer: "You expect me to pay $50.00 for *THAT*?"

The worst problems with machines are intermittent, especially those that "fix themselves" just long enough to allow the fault log, if any, to fully reset.

"Electronic record of fault conditions to assist diagnosis and service," my arse! :)

Reply to
John Husvar

  • Is your Malfunction Indicator Light working?
  • Can you tap out the appropriate code on the accelerator to get a code readout on the MIL? (For example, see page EC-708:
  • Does your OBD II reader work on a different vehicle?
  • Does your OBD II reader display indicate that it is getting power? (Open fuse to the OBD data link connector?)
  • Do you have a copy of the shop manual for the car?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Minor corrosion on a terminal. You pulled it off and put it back which cleaned the crud off so it makes contact.

Something similar with a stuck mechanical part. Your taking it apart freed it up.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

frustrates the

My customers are internal as in I'm on the inside dealing with issues inside the facility.

There has been one notable exception to my usual experiences. I have a test cell that uses a temperature controller to cause programmed ramps of temperatures inside the test cell.

On our older boxes, Labview running on the PC directly controls the heating system. The newest stuff, well that was implemented by someone that isn't here anymore for many good reasons.

Labview via a National Instruments DAQ card, changes the set point using 0-10v, the chamber temp is read via a type J thermocouple, the scr heater controller is driven by a

4-20 MA signal from a Watlow controller. Labview needs to know what is happening so another 0-10v output on the controller retransmits what the type J t/c on input 1 sees.

Well a month or so ago, the original controller died. It was only 5 years old but is now out of production. So I buy something else Watlow makes and I have to wait a week for it to be made since they can't get processor chips.

Well I get it, I install and configure it, it is working fine. Then I close the panel door and the display winks out. FUG. It isn't a broken wire, I got a lemon. Any vibration will reset it.

Okay fine. Try to order another one. Find out this month is the last time they are making it. Next week the latest and greatest will be available and it costs

1/2. Well no brainer, we can wait.

New controller shows up a day early, I stick it in, scratch my head reading the documents and by the next day, it is working perfectly. I played with a couple parameters that affect auto tune and that thing made a beautiful curve. Minimum overshoot, no oscillations. Very nice. Only took about 3 trials to nail it.

Got noise problems though on process retransmit output. Prints show DAQ card wired single ended. I check, wired diffential, AIN0 and AIN8 for those that have used a

6024E card.

Read manual for card. Insert a 3K resistor from AIN8 to AI Ground. Nice and stable now.

Pull controller, make a plate to close up the 1/8 din opening so the 1/16 din control fits.

Wire up control, power up, I get a error that says the controller has an internal malfunction. CHIT.

Strip the control down to boards and put back together. Fires up with input 2 error. No chit, Input 2 should be 0-10v but the control thinks it is configured for a type J t/c.

I'm getting really good punching in the configuration by now. Call to watlow has them telling me I have some sort of ground loop. I'll play with it tomorrow but since the control cabinet and pc are 6 feet apart, I'm leaning to they are full of shit. I will make sure all signal grounds are tied to a single ground in the control cabinet if they are not already tomorrow.

Wes

Wes

Isn't that "vas ees dee mattah mit deese?"

Reply to
clare

I remember $8 and change for a 1K chip being a bargain - and you needed 9 of them to make 1 K of ram in an 8 bit computer (8 bits plus parity) I still have some of the"schmutz" we used on the sockets to prevent the corrosion - cost something like $80 an ounce back then - mixed it

10:1 or 20:1 with ethanol and spritzed it on the sockets before installing chips or drizzled it over the pins of already installed chips and pressed the chip in the socket to work it in. The darn stuff worked pretty good, too. Can't read the label any more.
Reply to
clare

Some of our high end boards back in about 1986 had all machined pin sockets on them. About double or triple the cost for a bare board than with the spring pin sockets. All gold plated machined pins, too.

Reply to
clare

frustrates the

Sounds like my old Mini. always had loose connections on the battery in the trunk - as well as having an SU fuel pump. Jump in and turn on the key. If no "tickety tick_ in the back corner, slam the door or get out and kick the left rear tire to start the fuel pump, then get in and push the starter button. If it didn't crank, slam the door again with the starter button pushed. Or just reach out the window and slap it on the flank good and hard and yell "giddy-up!!"

Reply to
clare

I've had the same situation - but not a Nissan - answers: q1-yes.Q2-What?(not nissan - no way to get codes without reader) Q3 yes Q4 yes Q5 yes

My rather limited (pcode only) reader would connect up no problem - but the higher end scanner to read ABS and other "chassis" codes wouldn't connect for love or money.

Reply to
clare