Take apart - put together syndrome

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:30:28 -0400, Wes

I preferred Omrons or Eurotherms. Good luck.
Pete Keillor

I don't know if I'm gaining or not. I found that the data acq card didn't have the Analog input and Analog output channels ground terminal tied to ground. So I added it. I checked to make sure the control console was grounded to the control cabinet.
I didn't try really hard by power cycling the control too many times to see if it would fail. We need the test cell up and running.
I've had good luck with Watlow going back to the days of 1/4 din stuff with dials and meter movements at the old job.
Most things I deal with are easy fixes. Doesn't take long to find the problem when there is one but from time to time you get a problem that doesn't want to go away. Often on machines that have worked fine for years.
Never saw a Eurotherm before. Omron is pervasive.
Wes

I too have experienced this numerous times... always makes me nervous.
Along the same lines is when someone asks me to 'take a look at something', then together we can't make the damned thing act up to save our asses. They're always embarrassed: often going on about the 'magic touch' and all that jazz...
I know they wouldn't be there had they not experienced something alarming, and suspect they'll fear further embarrassment returning if/when/should said symptoms return. I always try to explain to them that this isn't a new phenomena, and that I certainly possess no mechanical/electrical/electronic 'supernatural powers', and please not to hesitate contacting if said issues continue.
I hate both these situations... I'd MUCH rather deal with something concrete than be left in the 'twilight zone'
Erik
Erik wrote:

And that's exactly where I am right now with the wife's car . Still don't know what the problem was , and I'm just waiting for the "other shoe to drop" . So far it's not given any more problems , but ... Sometimes I miss the days of points and carbs . At least they were easier to diagnose and repair . What really sucked about this one was that the scanner wouldn't link up , making any diagnosis a shot in the dark .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist
On 8/27/2010 4:20 AM, Snag wrote:

* Is your Malfunction Indicator Light working?
* Can you tap out the appropriate code on the accelerator to get a code readout on the MIL? (For example, see page EC-708: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Sentra/2004_Sentra/ec.pdf
* Does your OBD II reader work on a different vehicle?
* Does your OBD II reader display indicate that it is getting power? (Open fuse to the OBD data link connector?)
* Do you have a copy of the shop manual for the car?
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
--Winston

I've had the same situation - but not a Nissan - answers: q1-yes.Q2-What?(not nissan - no way to get codes without reader) Q3 yes Q4 yes Q5 yes
My rather limited (pcode only) reader would connect up no problem - but the higher end scanner to read ABS and other "chassis" codes wouldn't connect for love or money.
On 8/27/2010 8:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
(...)

Did you ever discover the problem?
--Winston
Buerste wrote:

Mechanical objects get lonely sometimes. Depressed.
Playing with their innards brings the meaning back into their life. Call it a mid-life crisis, if you will.
Call any machine, and the chances are good, that the machinery will respond to you.
Jon
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:52:33 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

While all of the preceeding is quite true, please be sure that you never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:27:03 -0700, Larry Jaques

Larry...most such objects are actually friendly! Like dogs..if you express interest and care about their welfare..they respond nicely. But..you have to do it on the same wavelength as they receive. And not all machinery is the same "channel"
Then of course.. there are the "sports".
Like evil twisted inbred pitbulls..there are a few machines out there that only want to kill/rend/tear/shit/piss and fuck over the nearest human being.
Fortunately most are not in a position to do so..but some...shrug..can and do. And the results can be....horrific.....brrrrrrr!!
I once had such a machine in my home. A 4 slot toaster. It tried to kill or at the very least..piss off EVERY user except one (my wife). Like a cat..it only had one owner. Biggest problem was..there were 6 people in the house. So my wife had her very own toaster for years, the rest of us using a modest and hardworking 2 slice toaster who did yoemans work for us. And I/we treasured it deeply. And it knew it and appreciated it.
Her toaster ultimately had a mechanical problem that I solved with the proper application of a 3lb shop hammer and my big Haybudden anvil, followed by a toss over the fence, directly into the dumpster. And I laughed..laughed as it died!
The new replacement evidently got the word and its been behaving nicely for a number of years now. And I still use the trustworthy 2 slice and talk to it, celebrate it, while its toasting. And it feels good about itself.
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

You're supposed to set the new one in the shop, so it cansee what happens to unruly equipment. :)
enough left over to pay them.

I've known this since I was old enough to hold a hammer and screwdriver, mon.

Luckliy, I've avoided most of those. Like I said, I hate VWs. <gd&r>

Now who's forgetting history? Cats don't have owners, just staff.

Ayup, that's how it's done.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

That's a great story, if we could just do that with bad cops and politicians.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/slaying-of-army-veteran-shocks-friends-98223884.html
The victim's side is not allowed to cross examine or bring their own witnesses to a coroner's inquest.
The above statement is true, never could figure out what only one side of the story is good for.
SW

Based on the above report...its not going to look real good for the cops involved once questions start being asked and the facts come out.
Notice that New Orleans cops from the Katrina episode are still going to jail for murder, conspiracy and coverup?
Gunner

Guess I'll have to look it up, no TV.
But, they won't ask any questions that the DA hasn't already approved of. And they're buds, ya know that blue line of denial or what ever it is called. I'll have to order a CD of this one.
The other side of the story is bound and gagged and can only observe.
Maybe they will finally fix the whole process, cause this family and friends are gonna be pissed when they here that it is justified.
Sept. 22 , there abouts
SW