Take apart - put together syndrome

Oh, I forgot to mention the rear-enders in Bugs, the 99% of owners who didn't take their POS in to have the braked adjusted weekly, as they needed.

No doubt. I haven't looked under the hood of a new Bug, and I don't relaly have any wish to. I would like to play with one of their diesels, though. It'd power a genset and backhoe right nicely.

No, and I'll bet no VW you owned did, either. ;)

But, as a subset of the population, VW drivers were always known for their crazy driving and total lack of maintenance. Anyone who wasn't/isn't a VW freak knows that. Only those who did their own work kept up their Bugs at all, it seemed.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've known this since I was old enough to hold a hammer and screwdriver, mon.

Luckliy, I've avoided most of those. Like I said, I hate VWs.

Now who's forgetting history? Cats don't have owners, just staff.

Ayup, that's how it's done.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

???? Bugs had self adjusting brakes. Only a complete yutz could drive a post 64-66 and not have brakes.

The Jetta etc are actually decent cars, though not Bugs. Buddy of mine takes normal maint..and has somewhere over 350,000 on his diesel VW, nothing major to report in maint.

Nope.

So were people who drove Nash Ramblers home from the bar.

You really carrying a torch against the Beetle, arnt you? Someone run over your foot or something?

I have found..in well over 40 yrs of being a licensed driver and a number of million miles..that the VW was a decent car, better than some, worse than others..but not much worse and only a tiny few..Volvos come to mind....

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

More fun.

better (and quieter) than a vub dub.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Between then and 1970, there must have been no fewer than 10 million of the manual adjusters out there on the road. C'mon, Gunner. All your VW-owning friends who weren't mechanics had to pump the brakes a dozen times before almost stopping in time. Don't you remember?

No, they just pissed me off, scared me (brakes and vans) and attacked my senses (whistling muffler tips, heads).

Oh, and Nader took his case against the Corvair but not the VW, which had an extremely similar axle setup and likely about 10 times the insurance claims. That's probably the largest pisser for me.

Maybe I can steer you away from this sore topic by showing you an interesting DVD on eBay:

The Culler's Reference.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I remember 56 of them being driven by minimum wage rentacops in oilfield wastelands and the high desert and having very few problems mechanically with them. Most had been rebuilt to 1800s and the biggest problems were parking brakes. The boys would run in someplace, crank the wheels and grab the parking brakes so they could do a 180 in the dirt.

Think rentacops are VW nutz?

I detested the vans, simply because they were a pain in the ass to work on and rather underpowered.

There were at least 20 times the VWs running around then there were Corvairs too.

Need a copy?

Im sure I have it tucked away somewhere..or can build you one from my records

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Has a VW engine in it if you notice.

With that much underbody..the thing is like a flying wing. Kid was pretty good though.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch on Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:09:47 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Sometimes, worse.

VW stopped making the Bug because they weren't selling in Germany. When your "signature" vehicle is being outsold by a French import, time to retire the design.

They run, and they run well. They are maintenance intensive - you can't just run 'em and 'put them away wet'. That air cooled engine requires that you regularly check the valve clearance. Plan on pulling the heads every 50,000 miles and changing the valves. Of course, that said, they have also been known to run "forever" while you wait for it to die. We use to outfit the busses for a drive from Tunisia to Niger. Beef up the suspension, add an extra air filter and oil cooler, "good to go". Being air cooled, there was no need to haul water for the radiator. I'd love to have a 68-72 Van, as that is what I worked on, for the most part. "Easy" to work on, reliable. Okay, not the best for heat in the winter, but ....

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I'm curious as to where in South America they're still being manufactured. The Brazilian line was shut down some time in the '90s and the Mexican line in 2003 and I was not aware that there was another one.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Damn! You are right!

Fortunately we still have millions of Bugs here in the US, often parked in fields, in sheds and on the street, so getting one is no biggy and parts are still readily available.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's a great story, if we could just do that with bad cops and politicians.

The victim's side is not allowed to cross examine or bring their own witnesses to a coroner's inquest.

The above statement is true, never could figure out what only one side of the story is good for.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Based on the above report...its not going to look real good for the cops involved once questions start being asked and the facts come out.

Notice that New Orleans cops from the Katrina episode are still going to jail for murder, conspiracy and coverup?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Guess I'll have to look it up, no TV.

But, they won't ask any questions that the DA hasn't already approved of. And they're buds, ya know that blue line of denial or what ever it is called. I'll have to order a CD of this one.

The other side of the story is bound and gagged and can only observe.

Maybe they will finally fix the whole process, cause this family and friends are gonna be pissed when they here that it is justified.

Sept. 22 , there abouts

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

About 20 years ago, I was ready to install a new mamaboard in a flaky

4.77mHz PC clone. I was intending to transfer the socketed RAM. As I got my face down into it, I suddenly realized every chip on the board was socketed, not just the RAM and 8088. I pressed all the chips fully back into each socket and the flakiness disappeared.

This is called Tech Effect. I once put my fingers on a hard drive to see if it was humming from spinning as I turned on the 'puter. This had the effect of Laying On Of Hands and LO! the drive returned to life.

Can I hear a Hallelujah, brethren!?!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

"J. Clarke" on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:24:28

-0400 typed >> Gunner Asch on Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:09:47 -0700

As far as I know, the old Bugs are no longer made - anywhere. Not a bad run for a vehicle originally designed in the 1930's.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich