The Maytag Man came by today

That was my understanding as well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

...>>

in 1990, Convex management (later part of Hewlett-Packard) told our engineers that they were competing with their counterparts overseas whose wages were much lower. the solution was to move _faster_ and _smarter_ to keep ahead of the, "dragons".

by 1994, many of our engineers were thinking that almost all low tech manufacturing would move of shore, leaving computers and telcom here. my question then was, "can this nation survive just by selling each other information and fast food?"

by 2001, folks were talking about competing "founderies" overseas (for chip manufacturing). in about 1994 or so, TI built a memory manufacturing plant in Richardson, Tx, partnering with a Korean(?) co. now there are overseas competitors for the "Vitesse" type chips (fast).

...> Didn't

you cover much ground, Harold, and make concise points. in general, my opinion as to "why?" this is happening is the fallout of WWII and certain philosophies adopted in the postwar decades. these were not owned by any single class: the Marshall Plan, Japanese reconstruction, the Cold War, and my personal favorite, "the Dale Carnegie methods of management". the near antipathy of Dale Carnegie, whose name escapes me, was in postwar Japan, helping them develop a modern base for manu- facturing.

our leaders came to believe that wars would be avoided by world-wide development and these "newly developed" nations would help support our economy and values. we literally gave away most of the base technologies. later, for fun and profit, many of our successful companies did the same with advanced technologies. well, enough time has passed to begin seeing the results, but only the painful ones. whether or not it leads to world peace is still decades away. my 2cents for the quarter. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Yeah, that's the best way to do it. You can pretend you don't know what is going on and it gives you some plausibility for denial.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

VBG!

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Actually, the SS wrote me a letter telling me that they won't pay me a single penny in social security when I turn 65 next year.

Reply to
Nick Hull

having lived in So. N.Mexico and being somewhat familiar with the local situation, the worst offense was not paying withholding and FICA, even for illegals.

since then, i have assumed that most employers do pay these taxes. of course an illegal has no claim on benefits. --LOren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Reply to
JR North

Could be. MTD's house label power equipment is usually better than their own stuff.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Actually Jack, it means you are minding the law, and letting some other fellow either follow or break it. Its not your business, its the other companies problem.

If it were Walmarts problem..then one can make the connection that you and I are responsible for everything in the chain, when we purchase goods and services. Are you SURE you want to go there?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:18:04 -0500, Nick Hull brought forth from the murky depths:

Did they say why?

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They knew. They've been dinged three times for this same practice, and I suspect the wiretaps on the managers' phones indicate that they knew *exactly* what was going on.

If this is true then they should be fined heavily for the practice. So much so that whatever economic incentive to do this is cancelled out - by a factor of ten or a hundred or so.

Jim

jim rozen

With one definitive exception.

Once wages are suppressed enough, the market for all the items that are purchased with discretionary income will simply go away.

If your customer base that buys cars is simply not able to buy another car, then there is no need for you to manufacture them - in the US, or elsewhere for that matter.

This strikes me as the ultimate mexican standoff, and no doubt it will happen in a gradual, smooth fashion. But my guess is that all the jobs that are going to china are gonna eventually (might take ten years) go the way of those jobs that went to mexico.

Jim

jim rozen

You persist in thinking that manufacturing wages are the only source of income for Americans (or people of any other nation). They aren't.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

You still havent answered the question. When did Wally World hire illegals?

What practice? So..if you know the kid working behind the counter at the 7-11 is a wet, are you going to turn around and leave, or are you gonna get your soda and hotdog anyways?

Think hard, then answer.

Gunner

"The Democratic Party is the party of this popular corruption. The heart of the Democratic Party and its activist core is made up of government unions, government dependent professions (teachers, social workers, civil servants); special interest and special benefits groups (abortion rights, is a good example) that feed off the government trough; and ethnic constituencies, African Americans being the most prominent, who are disproportionately invested in government jobs and in programs that government provides.

" The Democratic Party credo is 'Take as much of the people's money as politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'. Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda. Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them." -Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz

Reply to
Gunner

They said I didn't contribute enough to qualify, despite quite a few years at maximum SS tax rate

Reply to
Nick Hull

You are being deliberately dense. Of *course* they throw up their hands and say, "we had NO idea..." but this has been going on for years. They're hiring the folks through a shill corporation, they know it and always have.

The practice of hiring after-hours cleaning crews that are illegals. The public never sees these folks, they work after hours. Look there are plenty of companies out there that *don't* 'look the other way' and why should wal-mart get a market advantage by shorting the taxes and worker's comp? The the other big box stores will say 'hey, we have to do this, too, to compete!'

And to answer your personal question, I've been doing my damndest to stay away, in droves, to walmart lately.

First it was the enforced, unpaid overtime for their workers. Now this. Yep, I've been buying my motor oil in a more 'local' store - which was about the only thing I ever bought there.

The big push now for walmart is to edge into the grocery market. They figure with all the advantages they get from unpaid overtime, and illegal workers, they can squeeze more profit out of the 'real' grocery stores, that pay their workers more.

As a famous person once said, .

I see it happening. I don't like it. I try to avoid buying anything there, and I would tell folks to try to prevent that corporation from invading their town if a store like that was planned.

Some locations have succssfully resisted walmarification in the past, and the corporation has started a touchy feely PR campaign to try to combat that kind of initiative.

Jim

jim rozen

I didn't say "only," but they do contribute. And remember, it's not _only_ manufacturing jobs going overseas. A lot of the IT jobs going, and also even the beginings of an exodus for financial jobs as well. Imagine anything where the work product can travel down a network cable - that job is heading out.

Like Ed says, one manufacturing job supports two or three other service jobs. The first goes, so do the ancillary jobs too.

This is going to have some effect on the economy. I predict over the long run (ten years or so) that the market for goods and services in the US is going to shrink - simply because the wage base is either not growing or actually shrinking.

The companies doing all the "outsourcing" (ie job emmigration) don't look at ten-year plans. They need to keep the ROI and the stock price up for *one* year.

It's big Ponzi scheme. With the US citizens as the participants - and dupes. Last one out, turn out the lights.

Jim

jim rozen

I'm sorry to interupt here but how can you personally stay away from Wal*Mart "in droves"? Do you have multiple personality disorder? ;o) Sue

Reply to
Sue

LMAO! Thanks.....I needed that.

michael

Reply to
michael

Gunner has an extremely pictureseque diction. If he can use quotes, I can use quotes. I probably should have used 'xxxx' around that, you're correct.

"Staying away in droves" is one of those nonsensical but humorous ways of saying that something is really unpopular. Like walmart, with me.

Jim

jim rozen