The youth of today!!!

On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:20:49 -0700, Winston wrote the following:

I want to use anti-matteries on mine!

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Winston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Yahbut it doesn't do stick - which is what Ti Lizzie wanted.

Reply to
Eregon

RoyJ wrote in news:orCdnb0dm7BKfmrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Or at least 60 such units.

Not only would that be expen$ive but would really clutter up the place - and you >still< wouldn't be able to work after sundown or on cloudy days.

Reply to
Eregon

Yahbut, two storage batteries runs stick very nicely............. IF you can get the stick lit. Very low OCV, sticks like crazy.

Reply to
RoyJ

Blink blink....blink...those are all Conservative desires, hardly Liberal ones.

Todays schools are run by Liberals..and are turning out kids who cant read their diplomas.

Liberals HATE freedom of speech and the press, particularly from anyone not a liberal

Liberals HATE religion

Conservatives believe in Womens Rights, as do Liberals..but Liberals qualify that the women in question MUST believe in Women believing in the same shit Liberals believe in

Tim...I cant believe you actually posted that paragraph of buffoonery.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

IIRC, wind turbines yield higher bang for the buck as do photovoltaics, on average.

Here y'go, $1.25 per peak watt:

A 4.5 hour wind storm gets you an hour of welding per turbine (at midnight, too.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

4.5 mph wind is pretty light, don't you think?

Somehow I was under the impression that you'd need a minimum of 15 mph to get much in the way of electricity...

Reply to
Eregon

Imagine if they took the money it would cost to build 1 nuclear power plant, and used it for a 50% subsidy to any homeowner with south facing roof to put PV on their roof. Coupled with net metering, during peak industrial load times, there would be lots of sunlit generating capacity.

Then let wind, fuel cells, and current coal and nuke generating capacity serve the nights and cloudy days.

Building huge numbers of solar panels would drive down per unit costs.

There are some office towers in Europe that have solar on their sides and are effectively self-sufficient. They not only supply their own needs, but also put more into the grid in the day than they draw at night.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

This is already on the books. My BIL just stuck a hot water unit and is putting up a wind turbine as well.

The hot water roof mount was $1,200.00 and on a day with FULL sun it gives you almost enough hot water to take a shower! And this unit is sold to REPLACE a common 40 gallon water heater.

The wind turbine he is installing is rated at 2400 watts in a 10mph wind. It isn't one of the biggest units but it was still $15,000.00

He got back $600 on the water unit and will get back $7,500.00 on the turbine.

Heard this all 30 years ago as well.

Same as above. The problem is NOBODY wants them. The cost benefit is not even close to being good.

BUT they still need other power sources to keep them operating.

About the best solution is Nuke power and repeal of Carters reprocessing ban. If the US built reactors and reprocessed the used fuel as well we would have 90% of the problem taken care of.

By the time the reprocessing of the fuel gets to the point that the fuel is actually spent the amount of true waste would be about a 55 gallon drum full.

Reply to
Steve W.

(...)

Very.

Without a performance curve, it is impossible to tell how fast one must spin the rotor on this unit to obtain that 600W. Mathmeisters in the group could use the basic fan law to set a minimum MPH for 600 W.

I would not be at all surprised to see 15-20 MPH as a lower limit for practical production.

I claim to know absolutely nothing about this stuff.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Stuart Wheaton wrote in news:41e02$4bf9aa63$d0660039 $ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

If you limit the ca$h to only that used to fund the actual construction then there wouldn't be much available to pay a subsidy.

Now, if you'd tell the ecofreaks to STFU about the plants and take the money that's wasted on lawsuits instead then the available funds would be far greater.

After all, the ecofreaks' strategy is to exponentiate costs through the filing of a large number of frivolous lawsuits as well as to use these lawsuits to delay - forever, they hope - actual construction.

Reply to
Eregon

Stuart Wheaton wrote in news:aa915$4bf9aac1$d0660039 $ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

How so?

After all, we're all part of the same race - the HUMAN RACE.

Now, if you're envisioning Humans discriminating against Cockroaches...

Reply to
Eregon

You're so cute when you lie.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I had about 100 feet of buried 3/4" PVC pipe between my well & house the last place I lived. Between the exposed tank & hot sand over the pipe you could take three or four showers without turning on the water heater. In fact, you needed the cool water from the water heater tank to cool the incoming water enough to take a shower. That was in North Lake County, Fl.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm afraid I'm not buying a lot of that so called evidence, much of it falls in the same junk class as the few pseudo-scientists who try to build a pseudo case for "intelligent design" superstition. Many of the studies are corrupted by politically correct self censoring and preconceived results.

The fact that there are race specific diseases point out the fact that there are very real differences, whether they are understood fully or not.

I never said all the factors were easy to sort out, nor did I ever make any claim that any particular race was somehow superior to another as some of the "equality true believers" here have falsely claimed. Different population groups (not even specific to race) have evolved and adapted differently based on the local conditions.

My point was and still is the there *are* differences, PC or not, and recognizing this fact is an important part of finding a solution to the conflicts between the different population groups.

Reply to
Pete C.

I don't think so, Pete. You're looking at the wrong scientists.

Humans have a startlingly low variation in genetic makeup between races or regions, but many times that variation within a regional population or race. Approximately 10-%15% of variations occur between continental groups;

85%-90% within a continental group:

This is much lower than the differences between regions for other mammals. So the evidence of evolutionary differences among humans is quite small, and it's totally swamped by variations within a population.

Disease susceptibility appears to be the strongest genetic difference. This probably IS evolutionary. The curiosity is that it doesn't extend to differences studied in race psychology or social psychology.

If you want references, I can give you dozens -- or you can look them up on Google Scholar or PubMed. You'll find vast numbers of studies that measure variations in racial susceptibilities to diseases but few that show much difference on other factors.

Now you're talking about two different subjects: biological evolution, and social adaptation. Social adaptation, or social psychology, is not physical evolution. It's a social, or a cultural phenomenon.

I'd conclude from the evidence that the differences in social or cultural habituation and nurture are the things you're looking at, not at biological evolution.

For some decades now, and especially since DNA has been mapped so effectively, the *low* rates of genetic variation among races have been the surprise, much of which has overturned older theories of biological evolution between races. Again, the most measurable differences are in susceptibilities to disease, and there are plenty of studies that show that people taken out of their native environment and placed in another tend to behave most like others in the environment in which they grew up.

I recognize the general idea that you're working from but I think you'll find that it's become something that was expected by science, but which hasn't been much supported since we've had better methods to measure it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On the other hand..atheism is just another faith based religious belief.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No..actually I didnt believe you did post it. I thought you had more brains than those of a Useful Idiot.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hardly. Atheism is based on what is scientifically provable, and not superstitions beliefs.

Reply to
Pete C.

So prove there is no "god".

Feel free to use as much whitespace as necessary.

We will all be awaiting your work.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch