Things to see/do in Germany?

Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear head stuff ;-)
-- Greg -- http://www.depmco.com
Greg Dermer wrote:

Only slightly off-topic would be the suggestion of a brewery tour. I'd love to see the Spaten Brewery in Munchen.

And you have to bring home an oversized (by our standards) beer mug from the Hoffbrau house. My sister dragged one across Europe after going to Munich for me, but it's really too big to drink from (you have to drink your three bottles worth of beer quick or else it gets warm).
Regards,
Robin
"Robin S." snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

You can always hose down your liter, I suppose. Cold was never a condition for bier in Deutchland. Frank Morrison
On 03 Sep 2003 22:25:03 GMT, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Fdmorrison) wrote:

I don't know what Robin's talking about, I drank two and the second wasn't noticably warm at all, just cool. All those cobblestones outside were swaying around a fair bit when I left, though.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Hmmm. Perhaps I should revisit this issue.
And I just missed labour day too (as if I need an excuse!)
Regards,
Robin
Eat, Eat and eat some more.
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:35:23 -0700, "Greg Dermer"

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
Greg Dermer wrote:

You might try the web for info. There are some web sites that have info. From memory I think this will work.
www. destinationgermany.de
Bill K7NOM
Greg Dermer wrote:

Lucky you. I only had one.
What else should a

DM also has an aero arm. Not sure where, precisely.

You'd have to check to see if it's still open, but in Amerang (east-southeast of Munich) there's a pretty good (I'm told--never was open when I had the time) car museum. Amerang is south (mostly) of Wasserburg. The local beer is pretty good. :-)
I was on a consulting gig last year, and on the third trip, three of us went to the concentration camp/museum at Dachau. Sobering place. Don't plan on doing something fun later that day.
Greg Dermer wrote:

Like someone else said, visit the aircraft branch of the Deutches Museum. Here is a link to it:
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/zweig/werft/e_fws.htm
The BMW car factory has regular guided tours in english. Call a day ahead for reservations.
Fred
I have spent a lot of time in Germany, my wife has a sister that lives there and we go when ever we got a good price on a ticket. While there go to some stores similar to the home depot we have here. You will see some really quality products you won't find here. Out stuff is all made in Mexico of someplace like that. I remember looking at a display of hinges. They looked like they would last a century, you just don't see that stuff here. I will tell you a funny story, I was in Denmark in a store and I was in the plumbing area. There was a display with a TV and a video loop running showing the shower heads working. Here is the funny part, the video has a woman in the shower enjoying the shower. Totally nude taking a shower. There are kids walking around and many people, but I am the only one watching. They must have known I was an American because that stuff means nothing to them. I like to visit small factories. I once spend the whole day in a place that made bagpipes in Scotland. When I told them I worked with lathes and built pool cues, they let me run one of their lathes. It was built in the 1800 and still runs every day. If you rent a car, you can get away from the regular tourist stuff and meet the real people. I stay for about a month at a time and drive all over Europe. I will say, I have not been there since 9-11 so I may be a little more careful now a days.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Cuezilla) wrote in message There is a Luftwaffe museum up north but I thought hardly worth the time (most exhibits in the open air lots of military museums with lot's of cool stuff, a couple of submarines open for tours, If you get to Linz, you are in sight of the bridge at Remagen really important WWII bridge, great museum interesting story only takes about 1 hour to see. I could go on for hours (I spent 12 weeks there in 2000, if there is anything else you want to know, just ask. Have a GREAT trip. Ian S. (Oz) nt

Saw the same thing on the outside of the Pergamon in Berlin when we were there just after the wall came down. My assumption, though, was that the lack of repair was intentional, to remind the locals what happened the last time they crossed the Russians.
As far as places to see, the Deutsches Museum in Munich is worth a visit. When I was there 10 years ago it was in need of a good cleaning and updating, but still was worth while. And, the Pergamon by all means if you are in Berlin. It has an excellent collection of middle eastern artifacts excavated by German archaeologists 100 years ago.
Jack
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Lots of good ones, especially about the beer ;-)
-- Greg