To promote mutual understanding?

"Government leaders and ordinary people around the world seem to be giving up on the view, oft-argued since 9/11, that Islam is not to blame for the violent acts of its militant miscrants. That change of heart is spawning an epidemic of attacks on Muslims, their religion, its icons, practices and customs."

More at

Remedy suggested in this article: "Muslims who oppose violence must make a concerted effort to curtail the provacateurs."

The author, Joel Brinkley, is a professor of journalism at Stamford University and was formerly a Pulitzer-Prize-winning foreign correspondent for the New York Times.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Every nasty, evil, horrible thing done by muslim terrorists is not only in the koran, but it is actually required behavior.

This puts those who wish to follow islam *as though* it were a moderate and tolerant religion in a bit of a bind.

Maybe islam can be saved from itself (its strict adherents)- but probably not.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

It's about damned time

Reply to
RBnDFW

does it bother you to lie outright? Have you personally verified your statement? Have you read the christian bible, particularly the old testament to see the level of violence it advocates?

Reply to
Bill Noble

We are in the NEW Testament age now, Bill.

Reply to
CaveLamb

Indeed you are correct, and interestingly enough, both the new testament and the Quaran incorporate the old testament in its entirety.

to prove my point, I did a quick internet search and found this particular passage

Qur'an 5:5 Surah Al-Ma'idah (The Table Spread) This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers but chaste women among the People of the Book revealed before your time when ye give them their due dowers and desire chastity not lewdness nor secret intrigues. If anyone rejects faith fruitless is his work and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

My point here is not to defend Islam, or to attach Christianity - rather my point is to attack mindless hatred as expressed in the posting to which I originally responded.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Bill is stuck in the Koran.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Dave__67" wrote

I guess you'd discount Cain slaying Abel - that was jealousy, not unbelief (but it was pretty early in the good book...)

Sodom and Gomorrah? That wasn't *just* that dirty thing they did - it was unbelief, too. (Not specific enough?)

How about the flood? Everyone on earth except for a handful of the faithful? Not enough striking at the necks?

OK then - let's settle for the old standby - the Midianites:

Numbers 25 16 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 17 Vex the Midianites, and smite them:

Remember them? The Midianites? Unbelievers? Smote at His command.

Enough clues? (There are *hundreds* of others)

-- Jeff R

Reply to
Jeff R.

Some of us are in the age of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Which brings us to the Book of Mormon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stamp out intolerance! We'll have no more of that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What is one to do with the individual who doesn't -say- observe the sabbath?

Numbers and Exodus and Leviticus are quite certain about this. Death.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Then don't let us catch you not keeping the Sabbath holy...or we will kill you!

Reply to
Buerste

Yes indeed. Shame about all those hospital workers, ambulance drivers, shopkeepers, soldiers, utility workers, "entertainment" workers, police, firemen, etc. etc. I guess we'll just have to kill them all. After all, that's what is demanded in the Ten Commandments.

Praise the Lord and pass the stone(s).

Reply to
Jeff R.

Appparently, you're the lost sheep that fell into a pit.

Matthew 12:11:

And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Touché!

Aye - it's just as well there is a loophole for all of the absolute pronouncements of the good book.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Loophole? No, it's stating that if something is an emergency that you take care of it. Its the day to day, mundane things that are not allowed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's an exception to an expression of "absolute" morality - hence - a

*loophole*.

A real, absolute law would have no loophole - especially one developed or pronounced centuries later.

"Oh, it was a stoning offence in the day of Moses, but Jesus has this neat way out..."

Reply to
Jeff R.

It's common sense, but 'you're' looking for loopholes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course it's common sense - but it had to be edited into the new testament, since such a blindingly obviously sensible exception (loophole) didn't appear in the original version of the rule (the OT).

Reply to
Jeff R.

It shouldn't have had to be stated at all, however the terminally anal- retentive seem to be attracted to the clergy and other positions of authority.

Reply to
J. Clarke