Tool bit for fly cutter (FC)

Can someone confirm that it would be left hand style pre-ground tool bits for use in a FC assuming normal clockwise rotation? I have right hand style bits for my lathe and they seem to be the exact opposite of what's wanted in a FC rotating clockwise.

Reply to
oparr

If you use your lathe's tool bits for boring, the are mostly left hand. And they would fit. But you easily can grind them from small rectangle or round HSS bits. No big deal and you'll end there anyhow.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

correct.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

Yep!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Can't you just reverse the spindle and use the cutters you have?

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
The member map is here:

Ron Thompson

You could, but the bit pressure would be bearing on the 2 or 3 setscrews instead of the solid wall of the "groove". You might not notice any problem on really light cuts. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Tool geometry is changed also. You would be going from zero or slightly positive rake to a very much negative rake.

Reply to
syoung

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. I forgot the tool tip is on the center line of the cutter body. Still, I'd consider making a new fly cutter to match the tooling on hand. They're pretty easy to make.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
The member map is here:

Ron Thompson

LMS sells a set of three with blanks for less than $13.00 when they aren't backordered. MMC sells match>

Reply to
oparr

Yeah, that too! :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Links? Not sure if I've heard of those companies. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

More than likely you have;

LMS = LittleMach>

Reply to
oparr

Oh yeah, I know them. :) I use MMC every week. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle