Totally OT: NSW Cricket

Just learned that my stepson in Oz, has made the NSW Under 17 cricket squad as a fast bowler, and will compete in the National Championship in Hobart early next year.

Far as we know, he's the first under 17 to ever make the Nationals from the Riverina District. He's being watched by many scouts in NSW, and if he keeps on track, is expected to bowl for Australia internationally within a few years.

First trip there, I had to step up for a bit of back yard cricket, and faced him bowling with just a tennis ball. Lord Almighty, I could hardly see the dang ball, let alone hit it. (well, my batting suffered in part from my instinct to hold and swing like I had a Louisville Slugger... lol)

I'm proud as heck of his accomplishments and talent, and just had to brag somewhere... Sucks that I won't be able to be there to watch!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Jon Anderson formulated on Tuesday :

Jon, You will have to explain to the softballers from the north what cricket is but I do not think they will ever understand.

Reply to
John G

Congratulations to the talented son and proud dad!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh hell, I'm just beginning to understand it myself... lol. Though watching a real live game went a long long way toward that. Frankly, before seeing the game, written descriptions just left me confused... There's always YouTube for us Up Over folks!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Diamonds are forever ... and then there's cricket matches! Being a bowler must require stamina and endurance.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I thoughtthe Subject said NSFW Cricket. Congrats anyway. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Yes, and apparently more so for a fast bowler. Even so, they only bowl a few overs and get swapped out to rest. Got to watch him play a local game last year. He's quite tall with long arms. Most of the other bowlers would sorta jog forward before delivering the overarm bowl. David runs full tilt and windmills his long arm and throws some body English into it as well, gaining maximum speed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Don Foreman on Tue, 16 Nov 2010

00:50:16 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

'God invented Cricket, that the English might gain an understanding of the meaning of 'eternity'. G.B. Shaw

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A piece of advice for his future career: Never play back to an off-spinner when you are downhill at Lords!

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic