Pinging Alan in Oz

Hi Alan, My mate here in the UK is emigrating to Perth in the next few months, he reckons you don't need vehicle insurance there, surely he cant be right also what do you pay in road tax for a car? Regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

Not Alan replying, As usual its done differently in Australia. The equivelant of what I remember (I left the UK in 1980) as "Road Tax" is "registration", comprised of two elements, registration and Insurance. The cost of Registering a car depends on several things but basically the cost is determined by the number of cylinders e.g. 4 cyls or less A$88, very roughly GBP35

5 or 6 cyls A$178 7 or more cyls A$260 Added to this is a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance element, which varies according to driver age, home address, etc, this could be up to $350. As a f'instance, my Subaru Impreza (4 cyl) registration + CTP insurance costs about $250, but then I live in an outer suburb, 59 years old etc etc. If you want insurance for fire, theft or comprehensive its up to the individual. Fully comp on my Subaru is about $400, for a 15 year no claims, old fart.

Generally car driving in Australia was regarded as a right, so at one stage 16 year old spotty oiks could get their licence from a Corn Flakes package, then get in a 5 litre V8 with the handling characteristics of a supermarket trolley, and no effective brakes and get out there and slaughter people. Its marginally different now as at least drivers have to undergo some form of training. cheers Bill Pudney Adelaide, Australia

Reply to
bill.pudney

Hi Bill, Many thanks for the info on tax and insurance on vehicles. This mate went out to Perth to have a look at the area in February, came back three weeks later bragging how the people over there didnt need to pay for insurance or road tax. I pay £175 a year road tax on a old Landrover Defender plus £97 fully comprehensive insurance with 54 years driving. I cant wait to show him your reply. Kindest regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben,

Vehicles here are registered on an annual basis and as part of that i includes third party insurance only which is the minimum to get a ca on the road. Cost around Oz $480 / year (average) depending on engin size. Comprehensive insurance to cover your vehicle, other vehicle legal liability etc, etc runs about $600 - 700 / year depending on pas record and history, vehicle value and engine size and where one lives ie higher theft stats. While not mandatory this cover is highl recommended, however if the vehicle is financed then the lender wil normally require this coverage. No pit or emission checks at present in WA, I think some other state though require this. WA economy buoyant (resource driven) at present s prices quite high for housing, but its a laid back lifestyle. Hope you mate enjoys it here

-- Alan in O

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Alan in Oz's Profile:

this thread:

Alan in Oz

Hi Alan, Many thanks for going to the trouble of explaining about vehicle insurance etc. It all depends on when he sells his house, at the moment houses round here have been on the market for two years and still not sold, also I am led to believe the cut of point, age wise is 45-46, good health and a trade which he dosnt have, he is a part time teacher at a training college. He has been going to Australia for seven years that I know of, when I wave him goodbye I will believe him. Best regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben,

Just for your mate's info the WA gov is investing (finally) in trad type schools to address the skills shortages and not have to rely on temporary migrant work force. Now is a good time to move, but I'm sur he's working through the appropriate agency's which should know what' available. Having read what Bill is paying for vehicle insurance think I'll move to SA even though I have max no claim rating

-- Alan in O

this thread:

Alan in Oz