Transformers

Buddy of mine in San Diego wants to build apower supply for his Monarch
10 lathe. he needs a 7.5 kva 240 -480v. t do his. I really don't know
how this works but he does. closer to San Diego Ca the better.
Reply to
daniel peterman
Single or three phase????? Respectfully, Ron Moore
Reply to
Ron Moore
I've got one. 15kva single phase in Milwaukee. It's a heavy brute, shipping might be a killer. Ain't cheap either. About $1700 new. I'll take $200. Tom
Reply to
Tom Wait
If he knows how, 2 , (or 3, if 3 phase), small auto-transformers will do it fine. Should be no problem in san diego. MadDog
Reply to
MadDogR75
there are several large surplus stores that have stacks of this kind of stuff towards the southern end of San diego and on into Chula vista - has he even considered looking there?
Reply to
William Noble
Sorry about that. He wants single phase as he is gonna build an rpc. Seems like the long way around but he says that is what needs to get goood speed control and torque
Reply to
daniel peterman
We went to a couple places in el cajon but didn't get to National city or CV. Thanks Bill. You have any names for these places? BTW all ya'll should check out this guy murphyjunk.com in El Cajon Most organized surplus place on the planet
Reply to
daniel peterman
Tell him to gut it..put in a 3ph motor and put on a VFD. Its a hell of a lot cheaper, and with far less heartaches
Gunner
"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits" John Griffin
Reply to
Gunner
Hey Dan
Thanks for starting this thread, I haven't been by this site in years.
Yes I am looking for a 7.5 KVA 220 to 440 transformer single phase.
I can find them all day on ebay but they all seem to be back east and I am too cheap to pay the shipping. So I am hoping to find something a little closer to home, south of Los Angeles somewhere that I can pick up.
Gunther, I know there are other methods of getting an old monarch going but it seems like a crime to me to gut the thing. I would rather not, if I don't have to.
William, Got any addresses or phone numbers you could pass along, the Chula Vista surplus stores sound like it might work.
Thanks,
Mark
it..put in a 3ph motor and put on a VFD. Its a hell of
Reply to
mefull
Hey Mark,
Have you tried Cal Aero, or further north at Apex? Good copper in any transformer right now may drive the prices up a bit too.
Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
gut it..put in a 3ph motor and put on a VFD. Its a hell of
Reply to
Brian Lawson
I don't remember the name/address - I did a search for either "surplus San Diego" or "metal working" or "tools" or some such phrase - the place I went to also sells on e-bay, it's kinda like Cal Aero but smaller and less organized, but they had a lot of motors and big transformers when I was there - not too far off the main drag through Chula vista, I think
look for places around the general area of the naval base and south.
Reply to
William Noble
Thanks Guys
I have not tried Cal Aero or Apex, I will give both a try and Gunner said he might have something too if I meet him halfway.
thanks for all the help
Mark
Reply to
mefull