Treadmill motors

Well I Live in the hurricane area as well in southern Alabama. I bet those windmills would certainly put out some serious power during a blow.......

Just reading about windmills and power etc, I think I may setup a windmill just for the hell of it.

The wife is emphatuated with those 8 foot tall lawn ornaments, and we spent three hurricanes watching that thing wind up and spin so fast it wa nothing but a blur....I have a neat gear reduction unit form some exercise equipment, that would probably be pretty decent to speed up the DC motor on days its not as breezey? Good idea or bad?

It takes relatively little force to get it spinning up, so I do not think drag produced would be much of an issue......

Reply to
~Roy~

There's a Scotsman named Hugh Piggott who does quite a bit with do-it-yourself wind power. Excellent reference materials and plan books. Very little in the way of "guess gaps".

A CVT type transmission would be my preference of ways to do that. You would probably find a visit to alt.energy.homepower to be informative and useful. There are a couple of cranky non-helpful types, but they'll self-identify prety much right away and can safely be ignored. THe rest of the group is very knowledgable and helpful.

Right. You'll always have losses, it just depends on how much input you have in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I like the idea of wind power. But it really bugs me that all the windmills have a feature that stops them in high winds. I know why this done, but it still rankles. I hope someone comes up with a windmill that can keep generating when the winds are really fast. Years ago I read a book about props and according to this book a 1 bladed prop would be best for transmitting or absorbing energy. Of course the balance is a big problem. But Boeing built a huge one blade windmill. Where the other blade would be is a stump. This stump is a counterweight. I guess that the stump is in an area that doesn't produce much power so the drag and turbulence it causes has a minimal effect on the power produced. As far as I know though, only one was built. Doing a web search just now I could find no info on that one bladed windmill. Maybe it never produced any power. Maybe my memory is wrong. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

When I went to propeller school they told us the most efficient prop was a single blade, unfortunately it was impossible to make an airplane fly with one.

Reply to
~Roy~

the "Silent" motorglider uses a single bladed prop.

William Wixon

Thats where I got my 5500 watt true sinewave inverter/charger. Without going out to storage and looking..I think it is a Heart.

Came out of a land yacht that had caught fire. Still had the dealer plates on the bus.

Tested it..but have never used it. Its sitting on a shelf waiting for me to come up with sufficent batteries.

networking networking networking

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Ive got all those tread mill motors..and Ill keep a couple. It would be fun to build one into a charger. But the 3600 rpm at 110vt dc output/input seems a bit daunting.

Where do I start to look?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to