Two things:

Is there a new flock of idiots migrating in here? No offense to the resident idiots.

Does your server show lots of messages as not available on the server any more?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Looks like the usual levels of crazies to me between the spammers and the Conspiracy Theorists that Gunner insists on tweeking.

Then again, I've been gone for a little while and I'm still getting my filters re-tuned. Once I have the worst spewers in the bit-bucket, then I can talk.

No, but that's all up to your server. A lot of ISP's simply don't care about Usenet anymore, that they offer it at all is a miracle.

Go yell at them, or give up and go to a premium server that actually has a damn to give.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

The crackpots have come out on other groups too. I just shot down the UFO they claimed caused the 1942 "Battle of Los Angeles". It was actually an unidentified flock of seagulls above a garbage barge, detected beyond the horizon due to a poorly understood radar condition called "Ducting".

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It seems so. The killfile seems to need a little updating.

Back when I was on usenetserver.com, I had a LOT of that. Repeated support tickets did not make a difference. I cancelled my account, switched to Eternal September, and have never seen the problem again.

Reply to
Robert Roland

[ ... ]

Yes -- mine does -- sometimes. I think that is the result of a spew of spam of some form or other from a server, the operator of the server kicking the poster off, and sending cancel messages out for everything that the user sent, and *some* news servers receiving these cancels honor them and get rid of the articles -- so where there has been an attack on a newsgroup, you will (at least as shown on my newsreader) see a list of 1000-2000 articles waiting, but when I actually enter that newsgroup, there will only be about 200 articles actually present, and my killfile will blow away about 3/4 of those.

BTW I did not see the original article -- only the followup, perhaps because of the "NOSPAM" in the username. I tend to kick out many of those.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols