Use for a broken bandsaw blade??

I have one too. I have mixed feelings about it though. If it has one fracture (the failure) from fatigue it may have more that just haven't failed yet. I don't think I'll use it unless I get it up to welding heat and beat on it to reforge any invisible fractures.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'll have to take a look at my big scroll saw and see what I think. It doesn't use the regular pinned scroll saw blades (it can), so it might. Maybe with some massaging of the blade shape at the ends. I can't think of why I would want to. Maybe if society breaks down, spares become unobtainium, and somehow I still have electricity.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Would not a band saw blade make a scroll saw relatively pointless? I mean are scroll saw blades so expensive that you would want to use make one out of a band saw blade? Would a scroll saw have the oomph to power a 1" wide blade?

Reply to
Leon

I never thought of trying to repair it. But one could easily get dozens of cutting tools "out" of it. The part that sounds inconvenient is that you would have to anneal it before shaping it, and then harden it (properly). Because of it's location (I had to borrow something to stand on to replace it), I'm not interesting in trying to reuse it. That said, if it breaks again, I would replace it myself again, and I recommend the job to the interested DIY-er.

More recently, I declogged a bathroom sink drain with a 25' snake, which was $16, at the (infamous!) H.F. tool emporium. ; ) I thought I was going to use the tool without a drill, but I quickly changed my mind. To be honest, I had to do the job twice to clear it, but I was successful on my second try (more turning, less pushing!).

Reply to
Bill

Hoarding much? ;-)

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:43:50 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Nah. Hoarding is what _they_ do.

_I_ maintain a stock pile of necessities.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com on Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:14:04 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I have in my notes, plans for a "walking beam" saw which _could_ use these for cutting wood. I also have some plans for using a bicycle gear box and a treadle for powering a lathe. ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It occurred to me that after welding a broken garage door spring it would take a lot of "fortitude" to then crank it up to tension! ; ) It would be a good way to test ones welding skill however!

Reply to
Bill

Don't overthink it; punch holes in the blade and fit it into a hacksaw frame. The bandsaw steel isn't particularly springy or tough, but the teeth are hard and it'll cut.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have one too. I have mixed feelings about it though. If it has one fracture (the failure) from fatigue it may have more that just haven't failed yet. I don't think I'll use it unless I get it up to welding heat and beat on it to reforge any invisible fractures.

----------------------

At red heat cracks may become visible as abrupt color differences. I practiced on used springs but bought a new piece of 5160 leaf spring stock to make anything important and time-consuming, and the cheap flat pry bar I made into a spring was new.

The froe prompted me to complete an electric furnace project so it could be tempered for an hour, twice, per the blacksmith's recommendation. It turns out the furnace may have a Platinel thermocouple which tracks type K closely at higher temperatures but not in the range I was using, so more effort is needed, some day. Since a froe is pounded through the wood being split with a thick stick rather than a metal tool it doesn't really need toughness.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Do you have a copy of Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide? Lots of useful mechanical ideas therein. A good introduction to steam engines in volume 1.

Check antique stores and flea markets. It is really fascinating reading.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Leon

Ah, I see. To conjugate "save":

Singular: I "squirrel away" You "stockpile" He/she/it "hoards"

Plural We "collect" You "accumulate" They "prep"

Got it.

Reply to
krw

1" blade is pretty big for a scroll saw blade. I did this with my old 24" Delta/Rockwell scroll saw and 3/16th" BS blade, and while it worked, not as well as a scroll saw blade and basically was not worth it. I used a rough, 3 tooth skip blade, not the best for scroll work.

I'd go for the scraper blade myself, but there again, is it really worth it?

Reply to
Jack

Do you have a copy of Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide? Lots of useful mechanical ideas therein. A good introduction to steam engines in volume 1.

Check antique stores and flea markets. It is really fascinating reading.

---------------------

There's also an Audels Millwrights and Mechanics Guide which I have.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I prefer the leatherbound, gilt-edge original editions myself.

I have volumes 1-7 of the Engineers and Mechanics[*], all four of the Carpenters and Builders guides(two sets), the Diesel engine one, reading blueprints, volumes 1-4 of the Plumbers and Steam Fitters guide and the Electric Dictionary.

[*] Picked up a month ago at an antique shop in San Juan Bautista for USD50.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I prefer the leatherbound, gilt-edge original editions myself.

---------------------

I buy old technology books as reprints to read and learn from, and leave the collectible ones for collectors, including a Segway engineer who showed me his magnificent library of the originals like Lindsay used to reprint.

I'm not intentionally trying to assemble a museum, it just happens.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

LOL, Hell a 1" blade is pretty big for some band saws. ;~)

Was a single tooth doing all the work on that 3 tooth blade?

Reply to
Leon

Apparently you CAN criticize even if you didn't read what was written. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No, I was just thinking about how guys on gun groups will go to extremes trying to reheat treat (they often miss-say re-temper) a spring that has gone soft over the course of 100+ years instead of taking a piece of spring steel sheet and making a new one with no issues that is sitting there on a shelf for just such a purpose. Yeah, I can't imagine standing there on a lander with a pair of winding bars cranking up a garage door spring with a weld in it. I just don't have that much nerve. Its kind of scary just winding up a garage door spring when its brand new.

Brrrrr!!!!

Reply to
Bob La Londe