using a VW type 1 engine for a go-kart

Greetings all, I recently acquired a 67 Type I VW engine for free, and just happened to be planning on building a off road go kart as well. Now, how feasable is it to use an engine with close to 100 hp for a go kart? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am a welder, Aircraft mechanic and painter, and have a pretty endless supply of tubing to use, especially chrom-moly.

Reply to
athos76

How sure are you that that engine has "close to 100 hp"? I seem to recall that they were well under that, stock.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Athos

That is a great idea. You could have alot of fun with what you build with VW power. I submit that a VW powered device wont look much like a Go Kart. But, as you know, there are thousands and thousands of VW based Dune Buggies used to power Off Road vehicles. It is quite feasable to get 100 HP out of a rebuilt 1600 cc VW. But, it wont be 1600 after you get it to put out 100 HP unless you "supercharge" it. No matter how it is rebuilt so it'll put out to 100 HP, it sure wont be inexpensive.

Jerry (who really likes the idea of VW for off road vehicles)

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Reply to
Grady

Right, I was thinking either 38 or 42. With new nearly-everything, you can get tons of hp out of 'em, though, and the parts are dirt cheap.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A little more. The 1200 cc engines were 40 hp. A '67 would be 1500 cc, IIRC.

The Meyer's Towed was a dune buggy made for that engine that was little more than an overgrown cart with VW suspension. The tubular chassis was really simple, too.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Build a sand rail, VW engines are extremely popular for that type of buggy.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

Indeed..sand rail/dunebuggy/off roader would be my choice. Transaxel gearing would be really funky for small go-kart tires.

and so forth. Lots of them in my neck of the woods. Build from scratch or from kit if your welding skills are limited. Some of them are Corvair powered, most are VWs.

Gunner

Gunner

Sorry for not clarifying...its not a stock VW engine. The prev owner told me it had been bored out and different parts were used to max out the performance. One reason I want to make a go-kart is the size of the application I will be using it for. Thanks for all the replies, and I guess it is possible, but might be out my little go-karts league for now

Reply to
athos76

Sounds like fun then ;)

Worst case, you could head over to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled (I probably got the name somewhat wrong) and see if someone wants that particular engine, so you could find something more suitable for your kart? The boys over there always appreciate good Fweem.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you've got lots of tubing, then a sandrail/dune buggy is what you want to build. You need the transaxle to go with it, a go-kart belt drive isn't going to cut it, those can go as little as $25 at the local U-Pullit. You could probably get suspension parts from the same source, a Bug frontend with steering gear is fairly easy to pull and there's tons of off-road parts. Alternatively, if what you really want is a go-kart, swap/sell the engine for a suitable Briggs/Tecumsah/Honda single cylinder. There's whole magazines out there dealing with air-cooled VWs and off-road vehicles built with them. Check the local newstand.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Gunner redeemed 1 (one) polit. OT post with this:

That photo just oozes "fun"!

Thanks!

~D

Reply to
Dave

Dave, nice pic... Well, let me explain what I'm looking to build.. A Small one person go-kart. Very compact. I have an old Suzuki Quad with no steering, engine, electrical or gas tank. But its ripe for the cannabalism to go toward my kart. The kart is going to be used on a level but bumpy field. I work for Aerial Banners, and we tow banners with my airplanes out of this field. I want to use the kart for running back and forth on the field (about 3 football fields), to retrieve banners, and various Aerial Advertising related stuff. Plus I wanna piss of the Airport officials as much as I can, since they hate us already. I would really like to have a full suspension cart, made almost like a pickup truck. Well, more like a cart, with a roof rack to carry the banners and stuff... No electrical needed, we only work during the day.

Again thanks for the input.

Reply to
athos76

Nice pic, Dave. Well let me explain what this kart is used for, and see if any of you have some input (I'm sure you will :) ) I work for an Aerial Advertising company

and at the field we tow our banners from I need transportation around the area to retrieve banners, and various banner related stuff. The kart needs to be compact and a one seater. I need a roof rack of some sorts on top to load the banners and stuff. I need full suspension, and no electrical because we don't need to work at nite. (I have a portable Q-beam to use if I do) I have an old Suzuki Quad, with no engine, gas tank, seat or electrical. It has the steering, suspension and brakes and wheels. I'm thinking of cannabalizing that to make the kart or at least save money.

Thanks again for all the advice...

Reply to
athos76

I don't think it's very feasible. I have a Honda Odyssey, which is bascially a 600lb go kart with 350cc engine, and it flies right along. A VW engine would take much more of a chassis to support the engine. I think what you want to build is a sandrail. Do a google search on sandrail or go to sandrail.com to see more about these.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Tons of HP for very short spurts. VW heads can only shed ehough heat for about 40HP sustained - then they start getting "soft"

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Bored, Stroked and Dual Carbed a 67 type 1 *MAY* give ya 90-BHP ..on a good day... And last about a week....

But what you have is probably at best 80HP.. and naa this ain't go-kart material.. it's dune buggy fodder...

KeyRist if yer an A&P go find a good Lyc off a dead bird.. now THATS some HP that will last..

Dave

------------------------------------ FEAR ME I Fly A Cessna 150 Nations Tremble Before It Millions Flee It's Approach

2 Seats, 26 Gallons of gas, 100 HP And 90 knots of Screaming Terror

Reply to
Dave August

I actually have a couple Lycoming IO-540s laying around and some club props...maybe an air powered kart is at hand... j/k, I'm not Eveil Kneivel...

I'm not looking for a sandrail... I need small single seated. I'll scrounge for an old lawnmower engine or an old gen engine...maybe a honda or briggs... I'll load my pics of my plans when I complete them..

BTW, any thoughts on using the Quad parts for the go-kart?

Reply to
athos76