varmint control -- moles and voles

I think you are correct in your thinking. Generally a charged non-conductor is not a problem. It can not discharge enough of an area to have enough energy to set off an explosion. But this assumes you are wearing your legstats and are therefore well grounded. The real problem is if you have on insulating shoes and become charged by the bag.

I have made a " cannon " out of 4 inch plastic sewer pipe with a spark plug screwed into the plastic. One end had a plug and the other end was covered with plastic wrap like Saran Wrap and held by a rubber band. Spark was provided by a auto spark coil and a capacitive discharge circuit run by 120 VAC. It probably would not be as effective as your bag buried in the ground, but the spark plug might be less effort if you use it a lot.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Have you tried this on tunnelling pests?

Reply to
Don Foreman

OK, I should have said conductor. Both I and the cat are filled with wet conductive matter. (Opinions on what I am full of may vary....) My thinking goes like this, after a little boost from Dan: a spark is a flow of charge, a current, that begins and ends on a region small enough so there is enough current density to heat the ionized gas (air) along the spark path. If a conductor is present in which a charged insulator can induce charge, then once any current path thru intervening gas is established , then current can flow from the rest of the charged conductor to feed the increasing current flow as gas along the path ionizes and becomes more conductive.

Without the conductor, any small flow of current thru the gas would discharge the charged insulator in the region from which the current flows without ever reaching the level of current density that produces significant heat -- a spark. There is research being done at USC on corona ignition, but even corona requires some current density, albeit considerably lower than a spark or arc.

Corona originates and ends on a conductor.

I think the reported accidents were caused not by static on the bag but by charge accumulated on the (conductive) person carrying it and sparking to ground, perhaps thru the bag.

Interesting website, thanks! I was surprised to learn that plastics are better insulators than glass.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Correction: it originates on a conductor, ends in regions in the gas away from the conductor where current density is too low to cause ionization.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I like to think I'm smart enough not to get hit by a whip in the first place...

Reply to
Doug White

Dad forwarded this to me because of my past history of playing with Oxy-acetylene boomers.

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

More interesting safety related picture:

Lane

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:22:50 -0700, the inscrutable "Lane" spake:

Hmmm, a VERY expensive way to get some venison, wot?

I don't think I'd want to be:

1)the one making the hatbands or boots. 2)any of the pilots or 3)either of the pickup drivers, especially the latter.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda *

Larry Jaques

I wonder if there is a Boone & Crockett catagory? Nice rack

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Hello all:

Back to the original subject. Our mole problem doesn't sound as bad as others, but the buggers are still a nuisance. Our old sidewalk (brick in sand) would have a couple bricks humped up almost every day from the tunnels.

When I redid the sidewalk with pavers, I dug a small trench down the middle of the sand and poured about a gallon of castor oil down the 50' long trench

($67 a gallon here, probably better prices elsewhere):

That was three years ago. No trace of moles around the sidewalk since.

My 14 year old daughter complained about the moles in her little garden. Every morning, a new area was mounded up. I gave her a quart of castor oil to pour around the perimeter, about 10 x 10 feet. It's been a week, no trace of moles.

Some suggest that it's the ricin in the castor oil that repels 'em. I don't know, and don't care..... it seems to work for me. YMMV.

Best regards -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Wanna bet his insurance agent said it could be fixed? :)

Reply to
John Husvar

Not around here they would likely say "you are not covered for acetylene bomb damage"

Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford