Wards Lathe

Does anyone anything about a Montgomery Wards Power Kraft model

14TLC-699,-700 ? I think it was made by Logan. Any opinions about whether this might be a good starter lathe. Also, any known issues with this series or model.

Comments and opinions appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have no idea as to what this model is, but I own a Logan that is the same age as I am... (We're both 1946 models... Only it's in better shape...). IMO, Logans are first rate machines. Parts support on them remains very good. If it is, in fact, a Logan and if it hasn't been ruined, I'd say, go for it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Since I am biased, I won't try to comment on the quality, but it was a popular lathe, and many are still in use.

Yes, it was built by Logan Engineering Co., for Montgomery Wards, this one probably around 1941. This is a 10" x 24", similar to, but not the same as, a Logan Model 210.

NEW Parts, accessories and manuals are still available from us.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

Now that is very impressive!!

66 years later and still suppyling parts. Not many companies can say that. Clay

Reply to
Clay

You would have to meet Scott in person to understand Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I , however WILL comment on the quality . In a word , superb . My 10X30 PowrKraft is also as old as I am , and will still turn a part to within a half-thou . I could get closer if I levelled it better ... which will happen when I move it to our not-yet-built new digs in Arkansas .

Reply to
Snag

So, $400 if there are no major problems would probably be a pretty good deal? I was looking for something like a 9" x 20" but this might be better.

Thanks for all the resp>> >>

Reply to
Mike

$400 is a good price , I gave almost double that for mine . Mine still has AFAIK all the original goodies (follow rest , steady , live and dead centers , two chucks , etc) , and came with a bunch of spare parts . If this one still has all the goodies , you need to jump on it quick .

Reply to
Snag