Way [OT] Intersection Passtime?

Stopped at a light in crosstown traffic, what do you do to make the time pass agreeably? Read a magazine? Sketch? Watercolor? Throw pottery?

We've a new vigorously - enforced law which outlaws 'texting' even when stopped at a light, so I'm looking for suggestions to make the waits easier. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

What? You don't have a Rosetta Stone CD for Spanich in your car??

Reply to
Existential Angst

Congratulations, Sir Win. You are now an officially sanctioned "Instant Gratification Takes Too Long" club member!

And then, I have a thing called a CD player. I check out the strange people next to me while listening to it at lights. Occasionally, I hand out business cards when someone sees the sign on my truck and asks. It works out pretty well.

Let's hope they continue to enforce it vigorously.

Muckin' faroons.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Well, Mandarin anyway. I know all the important Spanish words already. Heh.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ooooo!

What do I win and why isn't it here yet? :)

--Sir Win

Reply to
Winston

You didn't answer the door in time, and the drive couldn't leave it, so you're out of luck! It was a brand new terahertz oven that cooked

1000 times faster than a microwave oven. ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can't wait for them to become cheap enough to rebuild into an X-Ray Vision camera.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It will be an interesting field, when it becomes more common. :)

The fastest thing I have here is a Polarad SA, that will let you see

40 GHz, with an external mixer. The highest I've worked with was Ku band. I used to repair 4 GHz LNAs, LNBs & BDCs on my bench at home.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

DoH!

But I'm getting my rocket pack before that, right?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I have an 18 GHz spectrum analyzer and a 1 GSa digital storage scope, both obsolete but functional. The fastest scope I ever had, as in signed for from the USAF and provided lab bench space, used liquid Helium cooled Josephson junctions for a 70 GHz bandwidth. I've tested my designs for cavity resonance at up to 6 GHz but normally stayed below 2 GHz for custom GPS receivers and the like.

Typically the engineer gave me a scribble of the signal path and critical components that I filled out into the full schematic, then I designed the multilayer controlled impedance circuit board and the RF-tight aluminum housing, gave it a quick functionality check, set up the test equipment and called him/her in to play with their new toy.

In the 1970's I built a 10 GHz Doppler radar using a GE PIN diode oscillator module, but my own design input was all in the audio band detector.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

_You_ just won a free _pause_, which you have already experienced!

Please sign here ________________ to acknowledge receipt.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Oh Boy! I finally won something!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I had a Tek 2245 four channel scope, along with a SA at Microdyne. It was funny, because engineering couldn't figure out a couple functions and had to come to the test floor and ask the RF guys. :)

Now you can buy it from China for $7.99 and add a few parts for the detector. I am going to try a couple to replace the PIR sensors in my motion detectors. PIR doesn't work well at 100 F

Michael A. Terrell

Did you pre-pay when you pre-ordered?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It gives one pause, does it not?

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No but I pre-drilled before I post-bolted. ;)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Indeed, it do.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

People figured this out long before there were cell phones. The thing to do is pick your nose. I've seen it enough times at stoplights. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Voice SMS via bluetooth is legal and safe while driving

Or...listen to Rush.

Gunner

-- "Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

How re-bolting!

Reply to