--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Ha! Good one!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sounds familiar. I had to ask the other RF lab techs how to calibrate and use a Network Analyzer. The engineers knew how to interpret it but a tech had to set it up for most of them.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What was real fun was when one 'know it all' ET had to swallow his pride and ask a production test tech how to use the IEEE-488 printer port. He was always pushy and didn't have time for your questions, so I made him wait.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But did you pre-drill before pre-finishing, interimly-assembling, post-finishing, AND before post-bolting?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Consider me post-corrected.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sure it does. You might not get the full 100' or so range, but if the detector is set up with a proper fresnel lens detection grid...

You might find this of interest..its one of the better pages Ive found.

-- "Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Pre-sumably.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kind of hard to fdo inside the house, though. Most are in the hallways and a few rooms with no windows so I don't have to fumble for a light switch when my good hand is already in use. The other hand is holding my cane, which is holding me up.

I've crawled that whole site over the last few months. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not necessarily, Guns.

PIRs work via differential thermal emission. If the room emission is close enough to the body's emission, the PIR does not see a difference between them, so it doesn't trigger.

That is stunningly good, in relation to a lot of Web info.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

True indeed. But closer to the unit, the smaller differences are indeed noted. Of course the faster the zones are entered/left..the faster the trigger.

I ran an alarm company for 17 yrs. Shrug...PIR was one of my favorite detection schemes, but...putting a proper detector in the proper location at times was the key..particularly here in the HOT desert. The "slow zone" tends to be from 95F- 100F..after which the moving target IE..humans... is cooler than the background and detection increases again.

With PIR as well as some microwave..one has the Mouse and Elephant Effect.

A device might detect a creeping mouse at 4 feet, but an elephant at

200 yrds.

So while PIR MAY be the best choice of all choices In General...there are others that may work far better...in particular. PIR even works well in some conditions Outdoors..but its not something Id ever recommend except in very definite applications.

Jerwelcomen.

Gunner