WAY OT: LeSabre door panel removal

My Dad's '96 LeSabre side view mirror has been snapped off. We have a replacement, but are encountering difficulty removing the interior door panel to get to the mounting screws. We have taken out the screws we can find, but the panel remains solidly on. I hesitate to just take a pry bar to it. What's the trick?

I googled newsgroups for an answer. The question has been asked many times over the years, but has never been answered.

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

If you are sure you got all the screws, (and I bet you don't) slide it straight up about an inch and then pull out. But there are screws in the hand hold, and behind the inside door handle and I think on the bottom. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

I have the same question with regard to a 91 Chevy Blazer. Does the same approach work?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

I recently found a rather handle tool for such things! If the link works...

If not, go to
select the Repair Info link, click on Vehicle Repair Guides, select year, make etc., and work your way through the choices to Body & Trim, Interior, Door Panel and you'll have a great description along with photos that you can even click on for a better view.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

No, and I think he's leaving out a step for the Buick as well. See my other post in this thread about the new online repair manuals available on AutoZone's site.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

presuming your blazer is like my 93 suburban, there is a single screw in the door handle, then pull around the front/back/bottom to unsap the clips, pull out the trim plastic infront of the handle, and lift up - window should be partway down when you do this.

Reply to
william_b_noble

Speaking from general experience, there are nylon plastic clips that look like double-headed nails in the door panel. The 'head' keys into a dumbbell shaped slot in the chipboard backing for the door lining, and the 'nail' point snaps into a hole in the steel door frame, and has a bulbous section (sometimes serrated) that locks it in place.

Every car I've ever had to work on doors on uses a variation on this same basic theme. Pull up the edges a bit and get in there with a flashlight, you'll see them.

They sell a special pry-bar for removing these clips that looks like an odd two-prong pickle fork - or you could use one of the 8" "Baby" versions of a regular carpenters flat pry-bar... You want to go under and apply pressure between the nylon clip head and the steel door inner skin - if you pry on the chipboard, all you'll do is break out the keyed hole in the chipboard and leave the clip in the door frame, meaning a new door liner. The upholstery is often RF-welded straight to the chipboard, not field repairable...

And for the clips that you break off getting it open (and unless you're extraordinarily gentle, and the clips are new enough not to be brittle, you will) Dorman and other bulk hardware companies sell the replacement snaps. Auto parts or upholstery supply.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:40:43 -0400, the inscrutable axolotl spake:

I use an old Mac U-14 clip remover tool; a bent screwdriver looking handle with a U-shape forked end. Apparently, they no longer sell it and have replaced it with the following $29 pair of tools.

If there is a carpeted bottom panel, look for screws hidden in the plush tuft of the carpet. Save one of the clips which didn't break to match up at any body shop. You WILL need to replace some. I think Murphy designed those damned things.

And if you need to replace the -outer- panel, use this one:

Larry Jaques