Way- way way ot but I don't have a clue

Anyone know for *sure* when the US armed forces went from 20 to 30 rd mags for the M16 service rifle? Was it during the Vietnam Campaign? It came up in conversation last night. How would one look it up? Army Ordinance records?

Thanks guys,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

From

half way down if we can trust it.

... The magazine release is on the right side of the rifle, ahead of the trigger guard. Current military magazines have a capacity of 30 rounds, as opposed to the 20-round magazines issued in Vietnam. (30-round magazines were not developed and issued until late in the war.) ...

Wes

Reply to
Wes

IRRC..it was with the introduction of the A2 version, mid 70s

Im not much on Matel toys, living in California.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Addendum..mid 80s. I hit the wrong key.

Reply to
Gunner

Not so....some were around in the early seventies, but they were scarce. I had 2 in Vietnam. I left Saigon in April '75. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

True, but they were not "standard issue". And with the 20s, you kept only 18 in it, with the 2nd or 3rd from the bottom being tracers.

Reply to
Gunner

The function of the tracers was to alert your opponent that you were about to change magazines?

"Hmm...every time I see tracers there's a lull in shooting from that guy...good time to advance to closer cover..."

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

An old timer taught us to fight - get in the habit of firing 3 round groups in a fire fight. Then after 6 groups - change the magazine.

Just think on your fingers - five - then the LAST one - then change.

It's a pretty well ingraned habbit even afre all these years.

I seem to automatically count gtoups - especially in Hollywood movies...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

When you are in the bush, its all cover and its cat and mouse or balls to the wall scoot and shoot.

Your sceanario might make sense if you were by yourself. And its damned hard to see tracers coming AT you.

Gunner Asch