Whait is it? XLVII

Item 265 is an Armstrong Right hand Cutoff tool holder. (holds a flat blade of HSS or Cobalt/Molly/.... Steel Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Depends on the year and the state. I have documents that have the round embosser by a notary - some states don't like them because of zerox machines and changing a document physically. Most have gone to ink pads. Texas in the 80's and before if not now.

I have an embosser for my private books.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The part about the round eyes has always bothered me. I have been terribly short sighted all my life and I figure that by the time I get close enough to see if the eyes are round it will be too late!!

Maryann

"Anything can be anywhere!"

Reply to
mkolb

Your are correct in that it's a cutter.

I'll put a photo of an embossed sheet of paper in the answer page to this set. You've probably read in other posts that this one for embossing books.

None of these.

The last three are correct.

Reply to
R.H.

All correct except for the inclusion of the word notary, as you have probably read in other replies.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Half right, it's a nail but the grooves are probably to help it penetrate concrete. These are also supposedly made of harder steel than regular nails.

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
R.H.

That's interesting. I've got some of these in the shop (the former owner left them). What struck me as different about them is that they feel very "light". Guess I'll have to try pounding some into conrete and see what happens.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

1/2 ? Never looked at them that way before. I'll try to remember that the next time one tries to implant itself into me.

I'm almost sure the flutes prevent the material your mating with concrete from spinning , more surface area , and added benefits during manufacture. Smooth round ones suck.

Typically one uses them to attach something else to concrete which I do also (temporarily), but I also use them as my imaginary helper to hold the string line. Thus , I whail on them with no support which is probably not recommended. Cheap helpers , plus I tire of trying to train "people". Read a tape measure , naw , hold a string line ! LOL they still fail ! On floors I use a steel brick cause the concrete is going to be way too hard.

Reply to
Sunworshipper
261 Embossing press for seals

262 Mason's pointing tool

263 Snake bite kit

264 Masonry nail

265 Bit Holder for metal lathe
Reply to
Anthony VanCampen

All correct, I'm going to have to try and make the next set more challenging, hopefully I'll have some luck finding some interesting stuff at the flea market tomorrow.

Reply to
R.H.

Sounds reasonable.

Yes, I know one use for them is for nailing the wood tack strips (used to keep carpeting in place) into concrete.

which I

Reply to
R.H.

with a new to them web site. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

near the bottom.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I think the rule is that a triangular head and a "pit" below the eye marks a poisonous snake...hence the term "pit viper" for a poisonous snake. In another life, I used to handle prairie rattlers quite a bit.

C. Who would advise anyone not to hang their hat my advice regarding poisonous snakes.

Reply to
C.

My basic rule of thumb,"if it slithers, it dies". Avoids the problem of misidentification.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

Parting-off tool, not cutting. The blade is very tall and narrow, with a slight taper downwards so that it doesn't bind.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh, poo. So it's not Heinlein? ;-) (or ... are you him?)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, I'm not him, nor am I channeling his spirit. :-)

Rob

Reply to
R.H.