Whait is it? XLVII

The best advise I've heard to avoid having to kill a snake if you are bitten, is to know what type of snakes are in the area so you can identify them by sight.

The knife is used to make an X incision at the fang mark, the sunction cups are then applied to suck out the venom along with lymph fluid, with which the body tissues dilute the venom. Either later on tonight or tomorrow I'll post a link to several photos of some of the instructions that came with this kit.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Correct, the antiseptic is applied to the knife and fang marks before cutting.

I think I like the modern version better than the suction cups.

Reply to
R.H.

The kit in my photo is one in which the outer case is supposed to used for suction, but the rubber has hardened and cracked. The smaller rubber piece could be used on fingers or other small surface areas.

Reply to
R.H.

It's a cutter but not for chair framing.

The rest are correct except the embosser isn't for notaries.

I'll have to dig out a couple of difficult ones for next week.

Reply to
R.H.

Nope

Close

Neither of these is correct.

I suppose it could be used for that, but that's not what I was looking for.

Nope

Reply to
R.H.

This one isn't for making badges.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct, but it's not a company seal.

Nope.

Yes it's an emergency kit, but not for sails.

Reply to
R.H.

Similar, but it's not a notary stamp

These are all correct. Several people have correctly named the masonry nail, but nobody has yet included the word that describes the grooves on it.

Reply to
R.H.

95% correct, as mentioned in other posts, it's similar to a notary stamp but that's not what it is.

Yes

Your computer must be even worse than mine...

Fluted masonry nail is correct. I've never worked with them, sounds a little perilous.

I've never used one of these either.

Reply to
R.H.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:17:46 -0700, Jon Haugsand wrote (in article ):

My dad has one of these! They are old and go against "modern" snake bite treatment.

you use the vial as an antiseptic, cut across the bite marks and then use the case to "suck" out the venom.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

For some reason when I clicked on your post, I got a message that said it was no longer on the server, but I found it on Google.

Correct, it has my name and intials on it along with "Library of" at the top, given to me as a gift years ago.

These are all correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Boy, that's hilarious! You're gonna die! ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

On second thought this is probably correct. It was marked as being a spoke cutter, which is probably similar enough to a tennon cutter to be deemed right.

Reply to
R.H.

Clearly to avoid the debacle of attempting to capture the snake and getting bitten again. Use the knife to fatally wound the snake as it glides away, then the medical team can track it by the trail of blood and find out what bit you.

Of course this is superfluous in Norway where you get only one venomous snake. In this instance the knife is purely for revenge.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

We just have lots of lawyers.

--julie

Reply to
Julie

O.K. I managed to hit your list announcement *before* seeing anybody's answers first, so I'll have a try at all of them before I read on.

And since I asked about stats of where the answers come from, I'll state that I am reading and replying in rec.crafts.metalworking.

260) Not really sure. It bayonets onto a shaft, which may rotate (CW only) or may also reciprocate as well (or only).

At a first guess, it is either the cutter bar from some kind of nibbler, or is used to tie string or cord around something.

261) A paper stamp -- for either pressing a notary's seal into a document being certified, or as an "ex libris" kind of stamp for books. Perhaps private, perhaps a library. To tell, we would need to stamp it into a blank sheet of paper and examine what ws produced. It uses no ink, and works by adding visible texture to the paper. (Hard to alter a signature over which it has been operated.) 262) Possibly used for scooping dry chemicals and shaking little amounts into the pan of a balance (usually on a piece of filter paper) to measure out a precise amount.

Maybe a "spoon" for melting wax to seal accordion reed plates to the reedboxes.

Maybe a device for guiding the gasket over a replacement windshield.

263) A snake-bite kit.

264) A concrete nail.

265) A lathe toolholder for a parting tool. It fits into a so-called "lantern style" toolpost. The parting blade is placed in the groove on the side, and held by the half-round headed bolt drawn in by the nut on the other side.

It looks as though it was made by Armstrong -- one of the long-time makers of such holders.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Darn! 6 hours after the Original post are there are already a ton of responses. I have been lurking these posts for a while, actually got up the nerve to post to the last one,(only got about half of them right) and yet I'm gonna try it again.

260. No clue

261. A seal press, notary I believe

262. Masonry tool, maybe called a pointing tool

263. a kit of some kind, already been answered.

264. Masonry nail

265. looks suspiciously like a tool holder for a lathe

OK, now to check out the other replies and see how I did.

Thanks RH for these posts, they are alot of fun.

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

#261: Imprinter; used for imprinting seals such as notaries or other seals

#264: Decorative nail

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

260. Iron Leech 261. Document embellisher 262. Canyon carving tool 263. My mom's arthritis pill 264. Nail from a wall in a corduroy factory 265. Device to remove work pieces from lathe centers very rapidly
Reply to
B.B.

I don't know about the scales but the Coral snake's eyes are round.

Reply to
Andy Asberry