More Names 2009 photos

Things I found interesting at the show. Enjoy.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

"I always see something in your picture sets that makes me wonder how I missed that display."

I feel that exact same way. I have pretty much given up trying to see every tiny thing since I know it is probably not possib.e I see what I can and rely on other fellows to post pictures of what they saw to cover all the bases.

Thanks for posting the photos of my display. I generally don't post pictures of my stuff because it seems rude to do so.

Nice photos and thanks for posting.

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

The beauty of the Internet is that we can share our experiences with others.

I sorta understand the sentiment but works in progress are often more interesting than the finished product. One can see the pieces, after it is together you only see the end result. Beauty goes below the skin in my world.

Details on how you built every detail as you progress would be of interest to those that love metalworking.

The Bristol Mercury has been moving along over my visits, the Duesenberg did likewise. Since some of us see things year over year, watching the progress from a pile of details to the final assembly is very enjoyable.

I talked to the gent that is making the Bristol Mercury asking him questions on how he did this and how he did that. Sunday had the gent that built the Duesenberg giving a seminar, I was there, don't really want to build a minature automobile but I was very interested in how he created some of the details.

If either of them had a blog that documented the steps along their project, I'd be checking it every day.

Same to you,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

WOW!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Wes,

Thanks for posting these pictures!

The Bristol Mercury engine is being built by Ian Wynd, member of the Hamilton Model Engineers Club in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ian is indeed an outstanding model builder with infinite patience and attention to detail. His workmanship is truly outstanding.

The International Harvester "MOGUL" tractor was built by John Parsons, member of the Golden Triangle Model Engineers Club of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. John is also a model builder par excellence.

I am a member of both clubs and know these gentlemen personally; both are marvelous in inspiration, workmanship, and patience in explaining "how-to" to all the questions voiced at club meetings. They are true gentlemen in the art of engineering model building.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

And Mark Toth and Reg Miller (along with Laura too) are also in that same gang of terrific model engineers. Mark and Reg did a fantastic job of preparing and presenting the "EDM -- Still Magic!!" seminar at the NAMES 2009 show. I'm just sorry that there time-slot put up on Sunday morning and against some other very popular competition, so in my mind not enough folks at NAMES saw what they have done.

I'd very much like them to "take the show on the road" and let as many people as possible see what they presented, at least here in southern Ontario .

Work on them a bit about that for me Wolfgng. PLEASE!!! At a MINIMUM, they should present it at a Golden Triangle meet or meeting, and one evening at one of the St.Thomas get-togethers at Reg's house. If you didn't see it, you'd like it I'm sure. If you did, spread the word!!

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Brian,

Why don't you attend a meeting or two of the Golden Triangle Club? I'll speak to Reg and Mark at our May meeting, which is held in Woodstock, 4th Sunday of the month, at Ted McJannett's place.

I'm treasurer of that august body and can probably twist an arm or two to have a command performance put on. Reg is secretary and takes notes for the newsletter.

The EDM Reg and Mark talked about, was it the machine designed by Robert Langlois? If it was indeed about this design, I was one of the initial group of people that built one in the mid-1990's, as described in HSM by Robert.

I'll talk to Reg / Mark.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

I've never been to McJannetts. I don't know why really. Just comes up at times I'm doing something else. I haven't seen Jack and Ted for many years, probably since Windsor Ontario Sunparlour days. Say Hi for me please.

I have been to a meeting or two at Art Gibson's in the past, but same thing. Just too busy. I've been to the St. Thomas coffee club a few times lately with Murray Bennell. I enjoy that. No politics!!

Yes, the original seminar premise was to revive the Robert Langlois EDM stuff (in fact, I believe they used the EDM that was used in the publication), but Mark and Reg went well beyond the call of duty with the presentation. They had some interesting empirical stuff Mark did, some of which is counter-intuitive, at least to me. And he/they presented information that is not readily available for small EDMs or on-line. That's why I think he/they should "show it off" a bit, rather than packing it away.

Work on them!! It will be worth it. If you do get them to say "Yes", please do let me know when & where as I want to see it too.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks for the bio on the two gentlemen. I can attest that they are very patient concerning the how-to based on my conversations with both.

Wes

Wes

Was that one of the seminars that conflicted with something else? That seems to happen. ;)

I guess that is what next year is for.

I didn't post, iirc, the pictures of the ball turner attachment that was at the show.

The displayer whose work in in this months "The Home Shop Machinist", didn't flinch when I photographed it and the pages in the magazine on display. I asked if he minded first. I headed over to the HSM table and signed up for a subscription when they guaranteed the magazine with the plans would be my first copy of their publication. So Jan Michaels, you sold me a subscription to the magazine that day.

If he shows it again next year, I'm going to buy a set of plans he offers (15.00) as a way of saying thanks. Cancel that. I just googled him up and bought a plan set from his site at:

He takes paypal.

Another nice guy I met at the show.

Wes "If I can not learn, I can not teach." Massad Ayoob

Reply to
Wes