what are 7mf 1500 volt caps good for?

Seriously though, there is enough energy there to kill. Maybe not always, but not infrequently.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My gut says no kill. Somebody with more math skill will have to work this out.

Lets see:

1 farrad= 1 coulome=1amp 7 uF=.007amp at 1500v I think I've been hit with more from a sparkplug wire on many occasions and I was only mentally damaged.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

1 A = 1C/s and 1F = 1C/V!!!! If released in .001s, you're back to 7 amps (average... it's an exponential curve, so starts at 14A in the very first nanoseconds, falls to 7A at 1ms, then keeps falling past there towards zero at an infinite time period).

Besides, it depends on the body's resistance. 1500V has been known to be much more fatal than 120V...

Tim

Tim Williams

energy = C*V^2/2 = 8J. A defibrillator delivers a couple of dozen to a couple of hundred J, so I would not bet on it being fatal for a normal person unless it makes you fall off a ladder into a wood chipper or something.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Err, no.

1 Farad = 1 Coulomb/V. 1 amp, 1F = 1V/s.

Discharging it all in one second gives .015A. However, at high voltage, the body has a resistance of some 500 ohms. This means that the current starts at 3A or more.

So, it'll discharge in about 2ms.

Spark plug wires will not put out more than a few tens of milliamps, at best.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Lets see - life lesson - discharging a cap (no matter what size) with one's body is *no* fun. On the other hand discharging it with someone else's body could be fun depending on the sense of humour of said person and your ability to run (fast). Now, to relate this to another thread - Discharging a cap with the body of a squirrel (or your varmint of choice/opportunity) - now that could be *lots* of fun and practical to boot!

Sincerely. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

project was how to wire the top of your fence to fry cats.

to set out a bowl of milk on the metal mat for a few days...then on about the

5th tie one electrical lead to the mat and the other in the bowl. Of course I'm too nice to do that to cats. I wonder if nuts are conductive enough.....

Koz

Reply to
Koz