What is it? CCI

This set should be a little easier than the last one, only two of them are unidentified:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1114: Wheatstone bridge: an arrangement of four resistors, a source of emf, and a galvanometer for DC measurements or something like an earphone or other audio transducer for AC measurements. In use, three of the resistances are known/calibrated, and the fourth is unknown. When the bridge is balanced, the galvanometer reads zero or there is no sound through the earphone, and the unknown resistance can be determined by the ratios of the other three resistances.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Darn, you beat me to it! It's a slide-wire Wheatstone, looks like a nice long scale and should be pretty accurate.

Reply to
DT

1112 I don't know the exact machinery involved but it's very similar to several tools we used in mechanical typewriter/copier/adding machine/ timeclock repair. Every dimension including thickness and width was a go/no go measurement so you could quickly check distances and see what's bent or out of alignment. I can't tell how flexible the metal is so I'm not sure whether that long arm sticking out would bend easily, otherwise I'd say it would slide under or around something to check a dimension.

If there's no name stamped on it, finding out what it's supposed to be used on is lost unless you find somebody who actually used it. And when I cleaned out my old tool kit last month I found a few that I don't remember exactly what I did with 'em. Every manufacturer had its own set of gauges and benders.

Reply to
else24

1109 works with a brace. No idea 1110 makes ribbed roofing? 1113 No idea but Lorana Bobbit shouldn't own one.

This was easier?

Wes

Reply to
Wes
1111 - Coat hook - You can clearly see the letters "CK" for Calvin Klein. I'm so glad these were easy, although I HAVE heard of a Wheatstone Bridge.
Reply to
peter divergilio

I live not too far from the Whitestone Bridge and it looks _nothing_ like that.

RicodJour

Thanks! I'm not sure if the owner of it reads the newsgroups so I'll pass this info on to him.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It might look like one of the go/no go gauges, but I bought this tool at a local big box hardware store where it was sold for a different purpose.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I take back my comment on them being easier, they looked easier to me since I knew four of the answers when I posted the set, whereas last week I only knew one. Here's a clue for number 1113: it was used in a hardware store.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

109. I'd guess it was either a gearing system for a hand brace (not sure about the offset), or for drilling holes a set distance from the previous hole (since it's not adjustable for different distances, that's probably a lame guess). 110. Since the rollers aren't sharp edged, it's not for cutting and must be for crimping/corrugating sheet metal. It appears to be adjustable - you could swap the mating rollers to provide the correct spacing. In use...sheesh, maybe for crimping the end of sheet metal prior to working the interlocking edges for making a cylinder? The reduced/crimped end would nest inside the uncrimped end of another tube. So I guess it's for some sort of ductwork that doesn't require it to be watertight. 111. Huh? 112. Huh? 113. The tabbed end looks like it was meant to be mounted to something, so maybe something for cutting tube or bar stock on a bench. 114. I'm told it's the Whitestone Bridge, but I have my doubts. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Largely guesses this time 'round, not that that's too unusual.

1109 -- Evidently this is a little gear train, seemingly to cause the two shafts to rotate in opposite directions. One shaft appears to connect to a hand bit brace; the other possibly accepts a (missing) handle with a square shank held by a concentric setscrew. All of which leads me to believe this is a...ummm...never mind. Possibly a part of a window opening mechanism, either for an automobile or a casement window that could be mounted in an inaccessible location? Or possibly to roll and unroll an awning?

1110 -- This looks like a light duty rolling mill, for shaping something. Most commonly, rolling mills were used for hot metal, but that's clearly not he case here (with wooden rollers). Gauging from the patterns on the rollers, I'd guess this forms some inner piece of leather or similar material for a book spine.

1111 -- Maybe this hook was used to elevate a shaft from a supporting cradle.

1112 -- Ummm....looks like it should be somewhat familiar, but no idea how or what from.

1113 -- Clearly this is a bench-mounted shear, perhaps for cutting lengths of rope at a hardware store. It looks rather light-duty for metal cables, etc. of the diameter it accepts.

1114 -- This is likely a telephone troubleshooting instrument, probably capable of performing a number of tests (line loss, detecting shorts or grounds, etc.) The sliders and meter probably form a Wheatstone bridge for measuring resistances, and the earpiece and transmitter can apparently be switched into the circuit for practical testing.

Now to see what everybody else thinks...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

"R.H." wrote in news:470e989e$0$32541$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

1113 looks like a shear of some sort. The holes make it appear as though it was mounted to a bench or table. Used to cut something soft - wire? rope? copper tubing? 1114 - I don't thnk this is a simple wheatstone bridge. Wheatstone bridges work on DC. This has crude switches labeled D.C. / A.C. that are ganged together, and a switch that selects between TEL / GAL. It may be an early form of a multi-function meter. It may be a conductivity bridge which can use either DC or AC as excitement. The TEL/GAL switch is interesting. GAL may represent galvanometer - a type of ammeter. The wikipedia article for galvanometer
also states that they were used as a receiver for telegraph systems. This may be what the TEL represents. Might this be a test set of some sort for troubleshooting telegraph systems? It could also be a test set for checking telephone lines as the date 1918 (8/13/18 date on warranty sticker) would place it in the early days of commercial telephony.
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

A.C. wheatstone bridges use sound instead of a needle deflection. When they are nulled, there is no sound from the headphone.

Reply to
DT

Is this a cheap mortar joint raking tool?

Reply to
DT

Yes! It's a joint raker.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1111, used to depress bucket type cam followers on VW Rabbit engine to change shims adjusting valves. used with shim puller,
different tools available for some Ferraris and Alphas.
Reply to
Stupendous Man

And here I was going to say it was a Roller-Smith Type B ohmmeter, and you go and provide USEFUL answers.... dang it. :-)

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

I'd guess that the TEL side selects the telephone set, the GAL selects the galvanometer.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto