What is it? CCXXVII

Might be another difficult set this week:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1209 Multi-tool, though the question may be... Is it a special-purpose multi-tool, and, if so, what special purpose?

1210 Library newspaper holder. Back in the time when people went to libraries to read, and newspapers were printed on paper, this kind of holder was clamped to the spine of a newspaper, and several newspapers were hung by the clamp on a notched rack.

1211 Fire extinguisher.

1213 Puzzle lock.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I fondly remember reading newspapers on a stick at the then local library.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That was the On-A-Stick era in American culture. Popsicles, corn dogs, newspapers. And we topped it off at the end by adopting fondue as the centerpiece for dinner parties.

My wife is recovering from an operation and somebody sent her a basket of fruit-on-a-stick. It's cut up like daisies and other flowers. Fondue memories, they are.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Perhaps meant for climbers who want to haul as little weight as possible up the mountain.

Reply to
DGDevin
1209. Looks like a multiplier but I'm not sure which one. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 1209 Might be x pi. Since it appears to have a blade, could be pie divider. 1213 A way to store a spare key so you ALWAYS know where to look for it. Actually, this lock might open if the broken piece were inserted, and pushed in firmly by the other part. Maybe with a little wiggling. 1214 Looks like a combination caliper/level/depth gauge for woodworking.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I hope the operatation is a success. I'm having a chicken burrito atm, dipping the beans and burrito in cheese sauce. Yummy.

A carmel apple sounds good atm.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yeah, she fell and broke her humerus in four places and shattered her shoulder. They stuck a titanium rod and three screws in her. I offered some Loctite but they said she'd hold together without it.

So I'm now a full-time nurse. She'll recover, but they say it will take six months.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

So now you can do as I did and learn how to put a bra ON, etc. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Haha! Yes, there have been several new experiences. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

again some silly guesses from germany. this week a little late, and i promise not having read the other postings!

1209 some kind of multi tool? can opener? 1210 used in my local café to hold newspapers 1211 red, must be a fire extinguisher 1212 no idea 1213 lock for broken hearts? 1214 tool for woodworking? maybee used to mark some distance along the edge of a board

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

Don, just in case you didn't find this yet:

should answer your multi-tool questions :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

"R.H." wrote: One of the rules for this puzzle is that no external tools are allowed, just

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ According to your description, then, it must be possible to insert the broken key end, unlock the lock, and then remove the broken kep part without any tools. This is how I would do it, and I assume that is the way they must have done it: Remove one or more of the pin tumblers from the lock, and cut a key that works by being inserted part way. That way you have something to hold on to for opening the lock and for removing the key.

I think I'll make one.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

One photo of it shows the broken key has a key ring. It may be possible to use the key ring as an extractor.

I would suggest removing the keyring from the head of the broken key and attaching it to the other part of the broken key (through the hole). Then insert the broken key into the lock and turn to open the lock, then pull the broken key piece out with the key ring. However, the review referenced above says there are three puzzles, and that's only two.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

Thanks! I like the look of it -- but I still prefer my Gerber "switchblade" pliers. One flick of the wrist and the pliers section is extended.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm not going to give the answer for this puzzle, but I will say that partially inserting the key is not the solution. Once it's been opened, there are five moves necessary to get it back to it's original state.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The instructions also say that using the wire key ring to solve the puzzle is not allowed, I didn't mention that because I left it out of my photo.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

You could probably buy 4-5 new Gerber's for the same price too, as compared to what that new Skeleton model will set you back :)

I'll stick with my old original Leatherman and Victorinox Boyscout models for now. They have served me well and still work just fine.

Reply to
Leon Fisk