What is it? CCI

I take back my comment on them being easier, they looked easier to me since I knew four of the answers when I posted the set, whereas last week I only knew one. Here's a clue for number 1113: it was used in a hardware store.
Rob

1113 looks like a shear of some sort. The holes make it appear as though it was mounted to a bench or table. Used to cut something soft - wire? rope? copper tubing?
1114 - I don't thnk this is a simple wheatstone bridge. Wheatstone bridges work on DC. This has crude switches labeled D.C. / A.C. that are ganged together, and a switch that selects between TEL / GAL. It may be an early form of a multi-function meter. It may be a conductivity bridge which can use either DC or AC as excitement. The TEL/GAL switch is interesting. GAL may represent galvanometer - a type of ammeter. The wikipedia article for galvanometer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer ) also states that they were used as a receiver for telegraph systems. This may be what the TEL represents. Might this be a test set of some sort for troubleshooting telegraph systems? It could also be a test set for checking telephone lines as the date 1918 (8/13/18 date on warranty sticker) would place it in the early days of commercial telephony.

A.C. wheatstone bridges use sound instead of a needle deflection. When they are nulled, there is no sound from the headphone.
--
Dennis

Quality bridges are used in labs all of the time. The manual ones are in laboratories for experiments, but the electrical and electronic ones measure R-C-L components in various combinations. Often the AC speaks of the ability for the C-L or reactive bridge branches.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
DT wrote:

-

I'd guess that the TEL side selects the telephone set, the GAL selects the galvanometer.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

109. I'd guess it was either a gearing system for a hand brace (not sure about the offset), or for drilling holes a set distance from the previous hole (since it's not adjustable for different distances, that's probably a lame guess). 110. Since the rollers aren't sharp edged, it's not for cutting and must be for crimping/corrugating sheet metal. It appears to be adjustable - you could swap the mating rollers to provide the correct spacing. In use...sheesh, maybe for crimping the end of sheet metal prior to working the interlocking edges for making a cylinder? The reduced/crimped end would nest inside the uncrimped end of another tube. So I guess it's for some sort of ductwork that doesn't require it to be watertight. 111. Huh? 112. Huh? 113. The tabbed end looks like it was meant to be mounted to something, so maybe something for cutting tube or bar stock on a bench. 114. I'm told it's the Whitestone Bridge, but I have my doubts.
Largely guesses this time 'round, not that that's too unusual.
1109 -- Evidently this is a little gear train, seemingly to cause the two shafts to rotate in opposite directions. One shaft appears to connect to a hand bit brace; the other possibly accepts a (missing) handle with a square shank held by a concentric setscrew. All of which leads me to believe this is a...ummm...never mind. Possibly a part of a window opening mechanism, either for an automobile or a casement window that could be mounted in an inaccessible location? Or possibly to roll and unroll an awning?
1110 -- This looks like a light duty rolling mill, for shaping something. Most commonly, rolling mills were used for hot metal, but that's clearly not he case here (with wooden rollers). Gauging from the patterns on the rollers, I'd guess this forms some inner piece of leather or similar material for a book spine.
1111 -- Maybe this hook was used to elevate a shaft from a supporting cradle.
1112 -- Ummm....looks like it should be somewhat familiar, but no idea how or what from.
1113 -- Clearly this is a bench-mounted shear, perhaps for cutting lengths of rope at a hardware store. It looks rather light-duty for metal cables, etc. of the diameter it accepts.
1114 -- This is likely a telephone troubleshooting instrument, probably capable of performing a number of tests (line loss, detecting shorts or grounds, etc.) The sliders and meter probably form a Wheatstone bridge for measuring resistances, and the earpiece and transmitter can apparently be switched into the circuit for practical testing.
Now to see what everybody else thinks...
--
Andrew Erickson

This answer is correct.
Rob
1111, used to depress bucket type cam followers on VW Rabbit engine to change shims adjusting valves. used with shim puller, http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_tools.htm#vat Slightly different tools available for some Ferraris and Alphas.
--
Stupendous Man,

Thanks! I did some searching and found the exact same tool as mine.
Rob

And here I was going to say it was a Roller-Smith Type B ohmmeter, and you go and provide USEFUL answers.... dang it. :-)
result in a fully-depreciated one.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1109)    Hmm ... it looks like something for driving a drill bit     (of the brace and bit form) upside down. You chuck the tapered     square in the chuck of the brace (or more likely an extension of     some sort) and pop the actual drill in the square hole on the     other side. (I presume that square hole has a similar taper.)
1110)    It looks as though it is designed to roll pleats in cloth.
    If the edges of the discs were sharper, and the grooves in the     other roller were something other than wood, I would consider it     as being intended to slice some wide material into multiple     strips. (And it is interesting that there is some variation in     the spacing between discs.
    It also looks as though the top roller has short threaded     sections to allow adjustment of the position of the discs.
1111)    Looks like the inner curve is pretty consistent, and the back     side has a tang of a narrower width, so I think that it might be     a special tool for disassembling some fairly current object,     perhaps something like removing a fusing roller from a photocopy     machine --- but that is purely a guess.
1112)    Looks like a multiple gauge -- the width of each projection     is for checking and setting some part of a machine (again, like     a photocopy machine).
1113)    Looks like a cable cutter -- perhaps the other half is mounted     on a long wood handle, or perhaps it is mounted on a workbench     devoted to working with the cable in question.
1114)    This looks like a form of a Wheatstone bridge. The four colors     correspond to a choice of four standard resistors accessed     through the sockets and plug.
    The percentage scales are used when an external standard is put     (probably between two of the three binding posts at the right,     with the unknown between the other pair) so you read the     resistance in terms of the percentage of the resistance of the     standard.
    The gal/tel switch allows you to either read zero on the meter     (visible as a needle below the glass eye), or to listen for the     quietest click on the headphone.
    It looks as though it has a buzzer assembly wired through the     hinges (presumably the wires do connect to the hinges, and the     hinges connect to something below the board). That would be     used as the "A.C." setting -- and if the frequency is stable     enough, it could be used for measuring the impedance of     capacitors or inductors, which would be pretty immune to the     "D.C." measurement. Also -- the headphone would be easier to     use in the "A.C." mode.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

The owner of this device sent me this response to your observation:
"I took the bottom off and sure enough the wires in the top cover do connect through the hinges to circuits underneath."
I'll post a photo of the open bottom of the box on the answer page.
Rob

    That was the only thing which seemed to make sense, given what I could see in the photos.

    Thanks!         DoN.
Five of the six have been answered correctly, some links and a few more photos can be seen here:
http://pzphotosans201-z1.blogspot.com/
One more for this week, someone just sent me some photos of an unidentified object, here is their description of it:
It's 'apparently' solid brass. The red is foam material.... the ends of the 'legs' with the foam unscrew as if for an adjustment. The bare leg unscrews at the "Y". The "Y" leg is 7 1/4 inches and the other two are 6 1/4 inches long. Stamped on the 'bases' is an heraldic eagle and the name "Schisler" stamped on each base..... it is solid and heavy!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/album%207/_DSC00020a.jpg
Maybe someone will recognize it, I've never seen one before.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

I found a reference to Schisler fitness equipment via google. I'm betting it's a Y handle for a workout machine, I've used similar handles on a triceps pushdown machine. The foam grips reinforce that impression.
--
Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by

I haven't been able to find the same reference but this sounds like it's probably the right answer, thanks.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

Aren't the grips on a pushdown machine attached to a cable? I can imagine a workout use where the grips would be screwed to a rod with a disk.
Schisler was known for the Buckeye Barbell. Suppose you wanted to lift with your palms at a 45-degree angle. You could unscrew the stem, put it on the floor with the disk down, pile the weights on the stem, and screw on the fork.
On the fork, you might need to unscrew the disks to replace the foam.

I was sent three photos of this object, in one of them there is a sticker on the main shaft in which you can read the word Buckeye, so I think your idea is a good one. I'll pass it along to the owner, thanks.
Rob