Taps in green coating

If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it is a resharp?

Ignoramus22384

I have about 250 lbs of taps in my pickup, hence the question. They came from a plant that was surplising some of their stuff, I am sure that they have no time for cheap gimmicks -- and they did not get much $$ for the taps either, not worth the scamming effort.

By the way, the visit to the plant today was very interesting, they had giant metalworking machines the size of a small house.

Ignoramus22384

It could be, probably is. But it also could be someone was just using up some green hot dip.

It could also be new. Sometimes plastic packages get cracked and tossed.

Basically, I think all you can assume is that it's a tap in green coating.

:-)

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Resharpened taps aren't like resharpened end mills, right? Machinists depend on new end mills being a certain diameter and when they get sharpened (unless they just do the end) they get smaller. But taps are sharpened along the flutes and still do every bit as good a job as when they were new.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

no

Reply to
John Martin

That's not necessarily true. Taps are often sharpened only on the tapered portion that does the cutting, totally ignoring the flute. Weldon, in fact, made a tap sharpening fixture that did just that.

One thing I can assure you is that a resharpened tap, unless handled extremely well in the resharpening process, won't come close to the performance of a new tap, and may not cut size. That was a tough lesson learned by management when I was working in the aero-space industry. The tool crib tossed dull taps and replaced them, which turned out to be much cheaper than the valued parts scrapped from oversized threads.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos