What is it? CXXIV

Tim Taylor wrote:

I think it's a bit small for a kingpin lock. The center hole is just about one inch diameter and a link from another poster here shows what appears to be the same No. 720 puzzle object having a 2.86" inside diameter.
Just for shits and giggles I stuck it in my pocket this morning on the way to work and tried it on the neck of a regular ball type trailer hitch on one of the vehicles in the parking lot. As I suspected, it was too small for that too.
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Well, there again, if I had looked before I leaped!! I need to read more! :-)

Valve stem lock. Stops you screwing it down.
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:34:22 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
SNIP

Hey Jeff,
I've never seen one like it, but it may possibly have been a lock-out for some cable controlled apparatus, such as a built-in-the-early-1900's-elevator. These old freight (mostly) elevators used a hand-cable to shift the over-head line-shaft crossed belt system to achieve direction and brake application. If that were locked around the cable, it may have prevented operation, Hand cables were nominally 3/8" wire rope, with about 2" clamp balls to adjust and limit throw.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Oooops, I thought you was talking about 720 of the puzzle. Sorry. Might ought to start reading a little further down.
725 has had several plausible answers, but not the one I think I remember--hanging up film to dry. (and, yes, I agree that it originally had rubber jaws.)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Closest I can get in 5 minuts of googling:
http://www.padlock.s-a-w.net/seiten/9642.htm
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well done, thanks!
That one looks more practical for joining something like two chain ends than mine does.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:
720)    It looks to me as though it is a locking anti-theft cover     for something like the fittings for filling a LNG tank, or     perhaps an above-ground gasoline tank.
    You unlock it and slide it off to gain access to the wrench     fittings to allow refilling.
721)    Hmm ... a bit short to be a massage roller for people's backs.
    It looks like small suction cups on the ends, so I will guess     that it is for positioning glass in a window or somewhere else     during assembly or repair.
722)    Assuming that the apparent taper is really from the perspective     and that it is in reality a cylinder, I would suggest that this     may be a piston for a dashpot assembly.
    Or perhaps a float operating a valve.
723)    looks like fittings for supporting a shelf in a bookcase,     allowing fairly precise tuning of the height of the shelf. The     cylindrical part would fit into a hole in the upright dividers,     while the "button" end would fit into the stepped V-slot and be     slid in or out to select the desired height.
724)    Looks like a tool for bending a sheet metal tab for some     function or other.
    Or -- it might grip a bent-up flange on something like a     radiator cap or fuel cap to allow turning it easily. I would     suggest aircraft, except that cast iron seems to be overkill for     the purpose, and an aluminum tool would be better suited.
725)    It looks like a small spring compressor. If it were able to     open wider, I might suggest that it could be used to couple     flanges on the ends of tubes.
    USAAF suggests "United States Army Air Force", from the days     before the Air Force became a separate branch of the military.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
for 720 check http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction talog.prodInfo&productIDa62&categoryID!4
R.H. wrote:

722 - Light aircraft fuel tester. The pin works a drain valve under the wing, then you can draw off a sample and look for water contamination.
R.H. wrote:

725 could 'fit' as either a photograph holder or a nose clamp (as suggested by others), if you assume USAAF stands for US Army Air Force.
Dave
Han't been following, but 720 is a kingpin lock, 721 is a valve grinding stick, and 722 is an aircraft fuel sampling cup.
LLoyd

Forgot to mention thanks to everyone who clued me in about number 725, I thought it was some type of clamp but didn't know it was missing the rubber pieces.
Rob