466 adze for cutting gutters, real small ones are used for sculpting.
Reply to
bamboo

#468 - gluing jig for re-tipping pool cues

wow - I finally got one!

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

I'm impressed. Whats the hook for; to hang it so the glue doesn't run onto the tip?

Reply to
humunculus

#466 looks like an adze.

All the others? I'm stumped.

Barbara

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

469. A sneaky way to slip in a SPAM ad for Landry's Appliances?

But, I never saw a *folding* yardstick like that before, it must be pretty old.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi Jeff,

You can still buy a folding yardstick to this day. I have seen them at Lee Valley Tools which is a carpenters supply store... Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

469: a ruler. That was easy! :-)) 470: For removing/gripping slag in a coal fired oven. BTDT

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

466) Looks to me like the kind of tool used for hollowing out wood for whatever reason. 467) Perhaps a civil defense alert receiver? I don't see a speaker grille, and the numbers on the dial go beyond the normal AM band, (but they do include it), so it might be what it is.

It looks as though it is potted in epoxy, so repair if it fails is out of the question. :-)

468) Looks like a custom-made stake for guy wires -- perhaps for a tent, or perhaps for some military installation. 469) I don't know. Perhaps the eye hooks on a pin on one side, and the point fits into a hole on the other side for lifting something from within a recess. 470) If the handles were different, I would think that it was one of those tools which I used to see in old grocery stores for reaching down cans or jugs from a high shelf. (Perhaps needing rubber surfacing on the fingers for anti-slip.)

And -- *if* the eyes at the handle end were separately attached to the outer and inner parts, so they could be used to close the grip fingers, I would think that it perhaps was for gripping a long, and then pulling it away using a line through the eyes (which would hold the fingers closed under tension).

However -- as it sits -- a tool for perhaps picking up rattlesnakes or wildcats? Or for moving burning logs?

471) A device for simple encryption of numbers -- or of letters converted to numbers by some scheme or other. Sort of like the "Sky King Secret Decoder Ring" offered on radio shows?

It offers tend different scramblings of the digits 0-9 (using the red numbers and pointer), or ten displacements of them (using the white numbers and pointer, of which one is "no change".

A replacement "dial", with a different ordering of the digits could add more permutations.

It is rather too nicely made to be a kid's toy, but it certainly seems to have no other function. The lever with a roller appears to simply be a detent to work with the gear on the back of the dial to stop it aligned with numbers -- but it could also be hooked to a microswitch to count how many detents have gone past.

Now to see what others have guessed or identified.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

#466: Adze

#467 Appears to be a heating unit of some sort. Possibly for jewelry or watch cleaning?

Mark & Juanita

oops, i accidentally sent my guesses to rob instead of posting them to the list. sorry 'bout that rob, and again, thanks for putting in the effort to post the photos, it's fun and interesting.

b.w.

----- Original Message ----- From: "R.H." Newsgroups: rec.antiques,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:19 AM Subject: What is it? LXXXI

466. cooper's adze 467. have no idea but guess electric metronome 468. this one was easy for me, gluing tips back on pool cues 469. i'd guess it's for aligning a pin with a hole but cannot guess exactly what situation it would be used for. 470. i'd guess for picking stuff of a high shelf.
Reply to
William Wixon

Four of the six have been correctly answered:

466. Adze

467. Electric metronome

468. Pool cue clamp

469.

470. Log grabber, but was also used for moving slag and other things in and out of fires and ovens, a newer version is for sale here:

471. As Don mentioned, this one does look like part of an encryption device, but it's hard to say for sure...

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I am seeing hammers this time around. Some might have other uses but in the end they are all hammers.

Reply to
daniel peterman

469 is for getting the alignment of holes when drilling for rivets. The sheet with the holes already drilled is below the one needing the holes. Place the pin in the hole you want to transfer and then the hole in the top rod will show where to drill the top sheet. I've never seen one made with round stock like that. Most where flat metal with the bottom one having a pin welded in the hole.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks! I haven't been able to find any similar tools on the web, but this answer sounds like it's probably correct.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It is part of a group of devices called a peavey; this one is a canthook. Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee Babcock

467- variac?

Rhiannon