What is it? LXXXI

Nope -- knob is too small and too close to the bottom edge to contain the diameter of even the smallest Variac or other autotransformer.

I might accept someone else's guess of an electronic metronome, if there were signs of a speaker grille to let the "click" out.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Show me the speaker grille on a bicycle bell and I'll show you one on a metronome.

;-)

I own a metronome very similar to the one pictured.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Watch out there Dave. You're "dating" yourself with that comment. That style is pretty ancient. Guess it doesn't matter all that much though, as we all know we're just a bunch'a old fa**s here on the wRECk.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

According to Dave Balderstone :

A bicycle bell does not *need* a speaker grille, as the bell itself is the sound radiating surface.

A mechanical (clockwork) metronome also does not need a speaker grille, as the sound production is mechanical, and it is transmitted directly to the air through the case.

However, an electronic metronome must have some kind of transducer to convert the electronic pulse into sound, and this usually means a speaker, which ideally should have a speaker grille to protect the speaker from damage.

Looking at the image, it looks as though this is a set of electronics which had been put loose in a container, and then had epoxy mix poured in. Note the rounded corners. And in particular, it *looks* as though the edge of the object has a meniscus from the surface tension of the epoxy holding to the edges of the container in which it was potted. (It could be that the image is causing an optical illusion, and the edges are actually rounded -- in which case the speaker could be sending out the partially open back.) Saving the image, bumping the gamma up a bit, and enlarging it to fill the screen suggests that may be the case, and that the front panel has a mix of different colors of plastic, instead of me seeing reflections from irregular surface curvatures which is what I *thought* that I was seeing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

An adze. A froe is for splitting lengthwise, an adze removes a (thick) shaving. Is an adze _really_ an obscure tool these days? What a sad pass we've come to.

I bet #467 has a xenon tube on the other side and is a stroboscope.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm willing to bet that even among wreckers, a relatively small percentage have used a froe or an adze in the past six months.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I'm doing my best! Tomorrow's plan is to forge up a dozen or so shiny new froes. They'll be going out through local shops, or eBay,

(if you want a froe for green woodworking in SW England, drop me an email)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But one would hope that they would at least know what they are....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

A carpenter's adze to be specific..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

OK gang, I stand corrected. Never could keep them straight!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Sometimes referred to as a "shin hoe" (ouch), which may have something to do with the adze's fall from favor.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

No - trades still use both. Cedar shingles...

Besides hewing logs. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Andy D> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You can hope all you want but some of us have trouble just remembering.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well, I've seen both in action and know what they are (or at least what they do), but I could have flip-flopped the names if asked.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Just saw an advertisement for double-sided adze's, with two different curvatures of the edge on the two sides. The seller warns against buying them if you are nor proficient in the use of an adze because of the greatly increased risk of injury. He likewise cautions against the purchase of double headed felling axes by the unexperienced.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

| In article , | snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com says... || On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:04:04 -0400, "Norman D. Crow" || wrote: || ||| 466 a Froe? || || An adze. A froe is for splitting lengthwise, an adze removes a || (thick) shaving. Is an adze _really_ an obscure tool these days? || What a sad pass we've come to. || | | Sometimes referred to as a "shin hoe" (ouch), which may have | something to do with the adze's fall from favor.

Makes a good solid "kunk" sound if it hits squarely mid-shin. DAMHIKT.

Morris Dovey

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I grew up using double-bitted axes, tried a single once and just didn't care for it. It just didn't "feel" right. A little hint for people splitting firewood . . use your oldest, most beat-up dullest axe. This forces the wood grain apart, where a sharp axe slices through the grain instead of splitting.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

For making kindling.

--hm

Reply to
humunculus

Then the combination of the illumination, the exposure, and JPEG artifacts made it look like a concave meniscus instead of the convex edges of the molded Bakelite housing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols