What is it? Set 433

Tough set this week, some of the answers have been posted here:

Been really busy recently, had to throw a set together and hope for the best, some weeks I have a lot of hours to devote to the site and others I'm not home long enough to give the proper amount of time to getting a set together and replying to posts. Just wanted to explain why sometimes I post a lot of replies and other times hardly at all, thanks to everyone who participated this week!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Not a very good one, since it is permanent magnet. A proper tape degausser uses an AC field which decreases as it is slowly moved away from the tape (or the tape is moved away from it) resulting in very little residual field.

This one would result in lots of hiss if used in that way. (I know this, because my first tape recorder -- a Wilcox-Gay -- had a permanent magnet erase head, and it was *very* noisy as a result.

So I will stick with my earlier posting (and duplicated by others) as a parts pickup tool.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

O.K. So (2511) is a mica undercutter from back before the days of a powered small circular saw blade being used for the purpose. This was done after turning the commuator to smooth the surface. The mica was electrical insulators between the copper segments.

Thanks for putting them up.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

I made an undercutter for my little 6x18 Atlas. It looked a lot like a very miniature cutoff tool, except it was used lying on its side, and had the blade ground at an angle so it would lay flat when exactly on the centerline while held in a lantern toolpost. Tricky bit of grinding, that.

One advanced it into the work with the cross slide, and did the cutting with the longitudinal feed wheel, while the spindle was locked.

I repaired a LOT of small motors with that thing before I quit doing it. I only ever made the one, and made it 0.015" thick, which worked for everything -- multiple passes on wider slots and slight over-cut on narrower ones (of which there weren't many).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hey Rob,

And we don't thank you enough. It's really good that you do this, and it's been great for a long time now. I for one don't see any difference in the "management" each week, so don't sweat it!!

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Yes Rob, again Thanks! Your posts are the first thing I look for Thursday mornings!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

some weeks I have a lot of hours to devote

time to getting a set together and replying

other times hardly at all, thanks to everyone

So 2512 isn't a push lever for a crossbow then?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Rob, This is a lever used to span a crossbow. The split notches engage the string, while the single notch engages a loop at the front of the stock. Patrick Roney

Reply to
Patrick

Nup. Can't be.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I was intrigued by this idea when someone first mentioned it but I couldn't see how it would work with the slot near the end of the one piece. I found a couple of similar tools on the web, the only difference is the hook on the end, it's very possible the the tool on my site is just missing the hook, or maybe somehow the slot was used instead. Here are the two I found on the net, they are very similar to the drawing in the link on Winston's post:

I haven't seen any other tools that are this close of a match, I'm still open to other possibilities but I think this is probably the answer. Thanks to all who suggested it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.