What is it? Set 453

Then what's the purpose of the doors on each end that can only be removed if the top is removed first?

Reply to
willshak

willshak fired this volley in news:k08g16$gps$1 @dont-email.me:

Think about it. IF it was used to hold a beam, they'd want to close it up entirely during shipment to keep trash, vermin, etc., out.

At the receiving end, they'd remove the top and the doors, then insert the lift spike in through the ends (doors). They have to be there, because the center of the 'spool' (beam) is below the top of the crate.

Insert spike, lift beam out of the box. Re-install doors, re-install top, ship empty back to the mill again. There, they remove the top and doors, lift a beam back into the box, remove spike, reinstall doors and lid, then ship.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote the following on 8/12/2012 10:58 AM (ET):

Yeah maybe, but the box doors seem too elaborate for that simple process. When I first saw the box, I thought it was a magicians prop for the famous 'cutting a woman in half' trick, but there's no saw slot in the sides. :-) It may be that this box started out as something very simply made, but was customized more than once for other purposes. Like why is the interior painted black?

Reply to
willshak

willshak fired this volley in news:k098qa$7c6$1 @dont-email.me:

That answer could be as simple as my situation. If something that won't show needs painting, I paint it with whatever color I have handy; and usually that's whatever has already been opened.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
[snip]

Or the box is set on a couple of curbs or rails when the spool or whatever is lifted out. Perhaps by some automated loading equipment that needs it located just so for alignment.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.