What is it? Set 491

Yes, Opera now works on the "Larger" links.

2857) Quite an interesting item.

First glance says military, based on the color, but not quite right for US Army equipment.

Closer looks say that it is from Russia. (The lettering on the controls, and on the globe look Cyrrilic to me.

Given the fact that there is a complete globe in it, and the fact that it has scales marked in degrees, and at least one dial in degrees, minutes and seconds, I suspect that it is a target entry console for an ICBM.

In particular, I find the thick red lines at the borders between the US and the neighboring countries to be of interest. I suspect that the globe is in there to serve as a double-check that the latitude and longitude were entered correctly. You dial in the setting, then look at the map to make sure that it looks like where you wanted to hit.

I suspect that the knob to the bottom right of the globe is the arming switch, with a safety lock around it.

And -- it looks like it is designed to mount in a console.

I would be interrested in seeing a translation of the control markings once the answers are all in.

2858) Hmm ... I suspect that the larger plug should also have an O-ring in the groove between where the threads end and the knurled knob starts.

At a guess, this was for sampling the atmosphere, for detecting poisonous or explosive gasses which are common in coal mines.

It may hold some absorbent material, and have a pump pulling air into it for some hours or days.

2859) My first guess was that it was to puncture cans like oil cans or beverage cans. (No dimensions to select between the twoP.

However, the points are not sharp enough. So -- they may be to open valves in a cylindrical object, or to hold a screw-in lid against rotating by the pins in (perhaps blind) holes, while the cylindrical object itself is rotated below to screw in or unscrew a lid.

2860) A paddle for use on only one side of a canoe (one hand grips the T-bar at the top, and the other hand grips part-way down the handle. but it would be difficult to swap sides quickly.

Or -- it could be for stirring something being mixed, a large amount of stew, or a paint, or fertilizer, or whatever.

2861) Looks like a tool for crimping either large electrical terminals, or swaged fittings on the end of steel cables.

It has sockets for three different sizes -- and the chained semi-circles could be used to adapt to two other sizes.

However -- one feature does not look right for that purpose. The larger notches are at a greater distance from the threaded bar which applies the force. Unless it is way undersized for the task.

2862) The black cylindrical object is a battery -- to be filled with acid just prior to use.

Are the wired rods in the third photo a part of the battery or grounding rods?

At a guess, it is a portable (likely military) telegraph, hooked to the wires, and to a headphone, while the spring-loaded button is the sending key.

I would be interested to know what lives in the drawer.

And the three-fingered thing is another puzzle.

Time to post this, and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Had one like it years ago. That and a clamp on tow bar meant you could bring 2 auction cars back to the shop at a time....

These day's you take a hauler or hope the run.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'll ask the owner if the two probes are hooked up to anything, the cords on them are 48" long, and will also ask about the drawer, I'm guessing that the 3 wire tool was in it.

Still not sure about two of them but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2860 - A Cheese Curd Paddle ?

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck

The short handle suggests an entrenching tool. The blade looks about 3" wide, which would be good for chopping into tough soil. The long blade would make it good for shaping a trench or foxhole. The best technique may have been to use another implement to throw the soil out of the hole.

Reply to
j Burns
2860 After a little memory exercise... This looks like a peat spade / peat cutter / peat shovel. The keys to memory are that it is heavy and sharp on the end.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I believe 2860 is a slick. Probably for shipbuilding, as the "T" handle would let you apply more force to cut trunnels flush.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

It seems that if it was for digging into the ground it would have had horizontal shoulders on the blade for pushing with your foot.

Reply to
G. Ross

I think it looks like a chisel, for cleaning up framing lumber... post and beam type... Like a slick... A slick is used by using your weight... This looks large, but could also be used for cleaning up lumber for a log home... or the notches.

Reply to
woodchucker

Just read your post. I agree.. it's a slick.

Reply to
woodchucker

I believe it is a slick as you say. I was barking up the wrong tree.

If it had been an entrenching tool, it would not have been used like a spade. For one thing, the handle is only 14". The US Model 1880 entrenching tool is somewhat similar, but it's pointed and the handle is only 7".

Reply to
j Burns

I think that slick is probably correct, the Dictionary of American Hand Tools shows it as a clapboard slick, they also list a carpenters' slick but it looks a little different. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.