What is it? Set 518

Ice racing studs ?

Reply to
Snag

_Modern__Blacksmithing_, 1904, chapter 4:

"When a wheel has bolts every smith knows that it will make trouble for him if he don't get the tire back where it was."

"When bolting a wheel the tire will be out of place unless the tire has been shrunk alike on both sides of the fellow plates. A smith used to setting tires will be able to get the holes almost to a perfect fit."

Reply to
J Burns

I heard back from the owner of this device, the tubes are connected at the bottom as seen in a new photo that is posted with the answers, and there is a hole in the stem that goes to the tube. Thanks to everyone who helped figure out this manometer.

The rest of the answers for this week can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." <

Rob, did you ever find the answer for item 2982 in set 511? pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas

No, I never found a reference that could confirm any of the guesses for it.

Rob H.

3019) O.K. If the tubes are joined by the block at the bottom, instead of being a single tube, this probably means that it is not filled with mercury.

And for 3" difference with mercury, that gives only 1.47 PSI maximum, and even model steam engine boilers work to near 100 PSI.

With water instead, it drops to 0.108 PSI. Totally useless for measuring steam head in the boiler, but for checking flow of heating air through the flues -- that would be a reasonable sensitivity. The units program does not cover inches of methanol or inches of ethanol, other likely liquids (though less likely than water, and the brass would show discoloration from mercury, as it would get shiny for a short time, and then dull and gray as an amalgam formed.

3021) I should have guessed the broken key extractors, though I have never seen any.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, I just forwarded your post on to the owner of the manometer.

Reply to
Rob H.

Another application could be to check for small domestic gas leaks. You connect it up, then turn off the gas supply and see if the pressure drops over time. I've not done the calculations but they seem more in the right range.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Ok thanks, I'll pass this along also.

Reply to