What is this newsgroup for?

Wow, what a load of whining, self-serving crap that was.

Let's see, I'm "ludicrous and narcissistic". You start out by seeming to castigate our fast food and fast information society, then say that when you want an anbswer you want it fast and "don't want to wade through tons of information". You don't want to find it yourself and don't have the time to do so. If that isn't exactly the meaning of "ludicrous and narcissistic", I don't know what is.

What you asked was not a dumb question with an easy answer. What you asked was a good question with a whole bunch of possible answers. There are probably a half dozen reasonable possibilities in addition to the ones you mention. Most of them take more than a few words. That's why the poster directed you to the rec.woodworking discussion - not because he was lazy. Had he been lazy, he wouldn't have bothered to answer your question.

I've never claimed to know everything - that's why I'm here. And I never said I was bothered by your question. I don't have much tolerance for dumb questions when they're asked by someone who seems to have the brains to know better, and on occasion I've said so. But I never said that your saw question was a dumb one, did I?

You have a nice day yourself, Steve. Or, if you'd rather, go f*ck yourself. It's up to you, and doesn't matter to me much at all.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 20:48:25 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Aw, c'mon. I gave you the specific answer and then saw the attitude you copped and came back with "Google it, ya lazy bastid. " You blew off the grin, ya lazy bastid.

I understand. Instant gratification takes too long.

Isn't the snobbishness in the person who says "Do it for me, I don't have the time or inclination"?

Preface your question with that and you'll get lots better/longer answers. People who come across as snobs (or kids wanting their homework done for them) get more "googlits".

Someone said that none of us here will go google it for the questioner, but I often do. If it's of interest to me, I'll spend a few minutes finding some info which is mutually beneficial. The CF thread is a good example. I had a lot of info before because I have used the beasties for years, but I looked into it more deeply and found some very inexpensive dimmables ($2 a pop, delivered) in the process. Win/Win. I'll review them when I get 'em.

eBay "12 dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs 23W=100W" by 6801goodbuy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, Steve...

Most "Friends", whether in this group or in your neighborhood, are willing to help a friend out, BUT, there is an expectation that you will do a certain amount of work FIRST. Once you've exhausted your resources, then friends are usually willing to help you out.

HOWEVER, if you aren't willing to do your homework; If I perceive you want me to do your work FOR you; If you come to the trough too often, then I'm likely to get peeved and tell you to figure it out for yourself.

That's how I see it.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I always find it provides superior results to my searches, with less bogus crap in the results and little advertising spam on the results pages. At various times I've tried identical searches on Altavista and several other sites like google and the Altavista results were always more useable. Try it yourself.

Reply to
Pete C.

[...]

Well, then, at least we understand each other. Now go back behind the barn with your Vaseline and have fun.

And I'd consider better newsgroups if I were you. This one is obviously below your standards.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

We truely live in an information age.

Its not that we cant find the information anymore..the question becomes how good your Google Fu is.

Ones Google Fu is determined by HOW you ask the questions.

And that requires a bit of thought

Reply to
Gunner

I created a "custom search engine", which is the google search engine with a bunch of web spammers blocked from index. Really cuts down on the amount of crap seen when looking for part numbers and so on. It is accessible from

but you can also add it to the list of search engines in your browser. It is a collaborative project and I am always happy to add more sites if you so suggest.

Ignoramus17950

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:24:12 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Verity! I've often found better keywords within the first search after a distressingly large return on a poorly Fued googlit. I rarely spend more than 5 minutes getting what I want; usually just 1 minute. Pete seems to think that Altavista (last decade's Google) is tops, but I try others on occasion and always return to Google. YMMV

Reply to
Larry Jaques