What's the solvent for wax?

Do you think the OP has waited 13 years for an answer?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Auto electrical parts cleaner worked for me.

Reply to
jmulla54

Heat helps too. Trycooking it in a mixture of ammonia and water with some powdered didhwasher soap. 2 gallons H2O, 2 cups Ammonia, and 1 -

2 cups dishwasher detergent, heated almost to a boil should strip the wax off pretty quickly.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Heat helps too. Trycooking it in a mixture of ammonia and water with some powdered didhwasher soap. 2 gallons H2O, 2 cups Ammonia, and 1 -

2 cups dishwasher detergent, heated almost to a boil should strip the wax off pretty quickly.

==================

Don't use the wife's good kettle, though. Boiling water should melt the wax but the detergent may not dissolve it all, so some could be left on the walls of the pot.

I dissolve canning and toilet gasket wax in kerosene to paint the ends of logs for my sawmill so they dry slowly without cracking.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would suggest trying isopropyl alcohol if not for the current pandemic. (That is in no way an attempt to start an off-topic conversation.) Isopropyl alcohol works MAGICALLY for removing hot melt glue. Note that it is flammable.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header on Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:37:24

-0000 (UTC) typed >

Years ago, I asked about getting some wax out of a notebook. Was told "MEK". Not sure if Regg was right, pulling my leg, or both. YMMV.

I've also had good luck with using Brake Cleaner on various occasions. Again, YMMV. But not specifically wax.

I have, otoh, removed wax from brass candle holders by immersing them in a pot of water, and heating that up on the stove. Word to the wise: dedicate a pot to this activity, trying to get wax out of a sauce pan is the same problem again. I have my cooking pans, and I have my "craft" pans, and never the two shall meet.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

heat for sure helps - but heating in a solvent is even better. Heat the part in varsol - not too hot - in a well ventilated area and away from open flame. Then BOIL it in a mixture of Dawn dishsoap and water.

Mabee even skip the solvent soak and just go straight to the boiling dawn. Or use automatic dishwashing detergent in place of the Dawn. Heat to melt it, then a strong detergent to emulsify it and break it down.

Reply to
Clare Snyder