Whatever happened to cosmolene?

Reading the thread 'Wax as rust protector' got me wondering whatever happened to cosmolene? It was THE thing during WW2 and afterward for protecting weapons, aircraft parts etc for shipment and for long term storage. I tried looking for it on the web and the closest thing I found was a concoction made up by gun enthusiasts to replace it because you apparently can't buy it anymore.

Amsol sells a Heavy Duty Metal Protector
it advertises as being a modern replacement.

But I can remember a form of cosmolene in which parts to be put in long term storage were dipped in a molten bath of stuff that formed a

1/2 inch thick plastic-like coating over them. It was about the color and appearance of beeswax but not as soft. The stuff had a waxy, oily feel to it and you could cut it open with a knife and peel it cleanly off without having to wash the part in a solvent afterward. But maybe that was only immediately after it had been put on? Did it tend to dry out into something less easy to get off over time?

Any comments?

Reply to
John Ings

That it advertises as being a modern replacement.

Reply to
Machineman

That it advertises as being a modern replacement.

Reply to
Machineman

I have bought spray cans of it from MSC. It completely drys unlike LPS3.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

More likely, some "expert" found that it causes cancer in mice when crammed up their backsides half a pound at a time.

Reply to
Don Bruder

It's still around....

-G

Reply to
Greg

Cosmoline. Brownell's. 083-033-016 1 lb., 083-033-032 4 lb.

I've also used a product called "Fluid Film". Similar to Cosmoline. Comes in a couple of viscosities, depending on whether you want to spray or brush it on.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

See

That it advertises as being a modern replacement.

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

There was a thread on this not too long ago, establishing that while the term is used widely and imprecisely, the original military stuff was simply petroleum grease.

Certainly the new tools you buy today often come wrapped in greasy paper.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Cosmolene is still made, Brownells sells it. There are many many versions of it, I have the government specification for it and there are several varieties listed. I have three 5gallon cans of it in the garage I bought Gov't surplus cheap, I was going to sell them to a guy in California but UPS wouldn't ship them because it considered them "hazardus material", I had to get a hazardus shipper to do it and he wanted $120 each can, so the deal fell thru. I still have them, if anyone wants them they are VERY cheap (read "FREE") if you want to come to Virginia to get them! Steve

Reply to
Steve Steven

For the traditionalists in the crowd, beeswax dissolved in turpentine makes as excellent rust protectant. Apply with a brush and then give it a day or two to dry.

Rich McCarty