Work Clothes

Ha, Ha, Ha. And you believe Wieber. What an idiot!

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I can see why you snipped this out the first time.

No, I don't believe him. I also don't believe that he intends his stupid stories as tall tales.

What do you suppose Wieber would reply if, the next time he told one of his stupid lies, I responded, "Dan Caster says that's just another tall 'tail' [sic], so I don't believe it."?

Reply to
Hopalong Hirschowitz

No he doesn't. Most of them begin as a transparent attempt to put someone else down, or to puff up his credentials as an "expert." Then he elaborates them to double-down on the authenticity of his story.

It's the behavior of a chronic liar, not of a spinner of tales.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Dan's name is veeeery close to going on "the list." LOL

Reply to
Caroline Says

Which list?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

gummer's supposed list of "great cull" victims - i.e., anyone who has ever crossed him.

You have flatly stated that gummer is lying when he tells these fantastical stories. Calling it a "tall tail [sic]" is just a euphemism for lying. gummer hates it when anyone calls him a liar, and he claims to have added the person's name to the fictitious list.

Reply to
Hopalong Hirschowitz

I have the feeling that it is a bit more than chronic. I suspect that it is more a matter of a denial of reality, that he is a lifelong failure, primarily due to his own lack of effort.

One might even use the term "psychotic" liar.

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

I think gummer has made a fair amount of effort in the past, but it was all badly conceived, misdirected and badly executed. That was the past. Now, I truly believe he's paralyzed. He truly has no idea what to do, and he can't even make any progress in trying to figure out what to do. He's completely stuck, and has no idea how to get unstuck.

I know a fellow whose wife died last summer, leaving two school-age kids (12 or 13, and 16). He seems better, but he describes life, still, as "just putting one foot in front of the other." I truly believe gummer doesn't even know how to do that.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not gummer believes his own bullshit. He claims it's all true. His very close friend and staunch supporter, Dan Caster, insists the stories are all "tall tails [sic]", and seems to suggest that gummer knows they are. It's hard to tell from text posts in Usenet if gummer believes the bullshit or not. If he does, then there definitely is some kind of mental defect in play. I don't know if it's psychosis, but it's something pretty deep in him.

Reply to
Hopalong Hirschowitz

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 9:58:27 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.junk wr ote:

I knew a man once that was a chronic liar. If it was a sunny day , he wo uld say it was raining. I never understood him. It was not as if he was g oing to profit from saying it was raining. He was a nice guy. Did not put people down. Was friendly and courteous. But you just could not trust an ything he said.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

very close friend and staunch

More lies by Hopalong. I am not a close friend of Gunners. Have never be en within a thousand miles of Taft ( well except for once when I was worki ng in LA. But that was a big rush job with overtime and no time to do much other than work and sleep.)

And not what I call a staunch supporter. A staunch supporter would be sayi ng he saw Gunner the day after his 264 mph motorcycle ride, and describe ho w Gunner was still a bit shaky. No the closest I come to being a supporter is the laughing I do when I read some of the posts about Gunner. And tha t has little to do with Gunner and a lot to do with how funny some of the p osts are .

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I think he post them just to get a rise out of gullible fools.

one else down, or to puff up his credentials as an "expert." Then he elabo rates them to double-down on the authenticity of his story.

We're getting some social and political lessons right now about "alternativ e facts" and alternative realities, and the import of the big, particular c ase we're living through at the moment tends to sharpen one's attention to how this all works. Big consequences tend to focus the mind.

One thing that we're learning, I think, is that a pattern of consistent lyi ng, which normal people think of as being either pathological or deeply cyn ical, may actually function in a way that isn't clearly psychosis or simple cynicism. It may be a learned way of controlling one's environment and lif e; an alternate narrative that both protects oneself against painful confro ntations with reality, and that provides a more acceptable story line to ex plain one's own failings and problems. Alternatively, in the hands of someo ne really talented, it can be the basis of a confidence act that brings mon ey and power.

Applying such an alternative reality to one's own life can lead to social w ithdrawal -- I know such a person, and he isn't nuts -- or to a belligerent form of self-assertion that's carried out with the aid of bluster and insu lts. The latter pattern fits one side of Gunner's mixed behavior. If he had the talent to pull off a real con, in addition to the bluster and insults, maybe he'd have a tower named after him.

Reply to
edhuntress2

"Big consequences tend to focus the mind." Well, that doesn't seem to be true with gummer. gummer's mind seems no better focused on improving his lot in life than it did when he first started begging the other "smart" right-wingnuts in this group for help a couple or three years ago. He has made no progress - he is living every bit as much on the extreme edge of despair as he was then.

True to all of that.

Uh...okay.

I've written here several times that I've driven by gummer's squat. I also drove around Taft. You really need to believe me when I say that someone at the very center of civic life in Taft CA - which gummer plainly is not - is the epitome of social withdrawal. The entire blighted town is the very picture of social withdrawal. It's a town full of tweekers, like gummer's pup.

The median family income is about $34,000. The median family income in the U.S. is about $52,000, and despite Taft's squalor, it's still in California, which means $34K won't go as far as it would elsewhere.

-- I know such a person, and he isn't nuts -- or to a belligerent form of self-assertion that's carried out with the aid of bluster and insults. The latter pattern fits one side of Gunner's mixed behavior. If he had the talent to pull off a real con, in addition to the bluster and insults, maybe he'd have a tower named after him.

Reply to
Hopalong Hirschowitz

Certainly "some are true". Yes you are a failure. Yes your wife ran away, not once but a number of times. Yes you lied about being in the army, yes you lied about riding a motorcycle at a tremendous speed.

But why go on. You are an abject failure and I suspect that you actually know it and the your Usenet persona is simply an attempt to persuade yourself that you really a big brave hero. (Gee, if people believe me here maybe I really a great man)

Pathetic!

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

Nothing could be more obvious than his Usenet persona is far more about persuading himself that he's "okay" than it is about persuading others of what a larger-than-life character he is. No one buys that. For chrissake, his own "allies" here regard his "Amazing Wieber" bullshit as nothing more than "tall tails [sic]". Because of tribalism, most of his partisans here - Gardner, Terrell, Jacques, others - won't come out and say they know Wieber is full of shit, but by their silence when he is being called full of shit, they are agreeing. Dan Caster, perhaps Wieber's most vocal ally here, has said he regards all of Wieber's absurd claims as fiction - total bullshit.

Reply to
Rudy Canoza

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:28:24 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote: Dan Caster, perhaps

The above is a lie. I bet none of you pip squeaks will call Rudy on this l ie. But I have never said that I regard all of Gunner claims as fiction. And I am certain that I never said " total bullshit ". My vocabulary is not so limited that I resort to words as bullshit.

I will say I believe that Rudy does not do any metalworking and posts on R CM to boost his self esteem. The very thing that he claims Gunner does. C ould it be that he and Gunner are alike?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Why don't you tell us which of the bits of the Mark R. Wieber Cliff Notes compendium you regard as instances in which gummer told the truth, dannie? Was it when he said he had arrested "2500" drug dealers during his 2/5/"a couple"/"several"/8 years as a reserve deputy? Is it when he describes the "acres" of land he "owns"?

Not even close. I only came here in the first place because gummer cross-posted so much to other groups. Then I realized he spent more time here than anywhere else. I'm glad I did, because it has been a world of fun encountering gummer's deadbeat pals here.

Not even remotely alike, dannie. Start with the fact that I don't tell any "tall tails [sic]" here or anywhere else. Add to it the fact that my name is on the deed of my house, and my property taxes are paid up. There also has been no time in the last 45 years when I haven't had an operable car. My wife has never left me once, let alone three or more times for the same chump, and my kid isn't a meth addict.

Nope - my life doesn't resemble Wieber's in any aspect.

Reply to
Rudy Canoza

You might be right. Gunner does not have an over riding compulsion to put people down.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... We're getting some social and political lessons right now about "alternative facts" and alternative realities, and the import of the big, particular case we're living through at the moment tends to sharpen one's attention to how this all works. Big consequences tend to focus the mind. ..................

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

t. I think he post them just to get a rise out of gullible fools.

meone else down, or to puff up his credentials as an "expert." Then he ela borates them to double-down on the authenticity of his story.

ative facts" and alternative realities, and the import of the big, particul ar case we're living through at the moment tends to sharpen one's attention to how this all works. Big consequences tend to focus the mind.

I wasn't referring to him. I was referring to us. The "big consequences " I was thinking about are the political consequences we're facing on the l arger stage of current events.

Avoidance is a complex issue in psychology. It can really shape one's life, as it obviously has done with Gunner.

lying, which normal people think of as being either pathological or deeply cynical, may actually function in a way that isn't clearly psychosis or si mple cynicism. It may be a learned way of controlling one's environment and life; an alternate narrative that both protects oneself against painful co nfrontations with reality, and that provides a more acceptable story line t o explain one's own failings and problems.

al withdrawal

Reply to
edhuntress2

I almost posted this one twice the same way, by disconnecting too soon after sending it. This time I deleted the pending copy from the Outbox.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins