workshop

what is a good size workshop ?

Reply to
Steven Van Densen

Ansel Adams was once asked what is the best camera to use. His reply was "the biggest one you can carry"

The biggest one you can get.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Infinity.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Stuff expands to fill the space available. There is no end to stuff. Infinity is the ideal answer. Reality is much smaller. There are *many* shops that are too small. There are *no* shops that are too big!

Hope (really) that this helps.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Only if there is room for expansion.

michael

Reply to
michael

It depends entirely on what you plan to accomplish. For years I tinkered away in a 20X12 garage and found room for tools, reloading bench and occasionally a car. I was not doing any type of fabrication and my number of tools was somewhat limited, but I found enough room to get the jobs at hand completed. I am now in the process of setting up my 1944 sqr ft shop and it is all I can do to walk through it! My hope is to fab a few truck parts once it is completed, but right now that is looking like a distant pipe dream.

I have to agree with Mike regarding the heating bill. Definitely a consideration.

Jesse L Zufall

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

Reply to
Jesse L Zufall

Maybe Boeing will put some hangars up for auction. If NASA buries another one in red dirt,there could ne a Very Large Assembly Building for sale.

wws

Reply to
wws

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

You could get one of those airport baggage carts and put tool chests on the back and a trailer for the work .

Reply to
Sunworshiper

I like forklifts.

Of course, you do have to be careful...

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

Bigger. :)

Dave

Reply to
David L Peterson

My Grandfather had a barn that was 4 times larger and many times more than the two story farm house.

Barns always were built larger and stronger.

Why not a shop... Just like Granddad! :-)

(I never knew him - but he raised Morgans. He ran teams of Morgans across his large farm - and loaned a research farm to Purdue in those days. All was taken by the state when he died - women couldn't own property. Grandma had a College degree in Chem. and Math. She taught school (college) way past retirement - she could and forced the school to let her - she didn't have to but wanted it.

They were progressive but the laws did them wrong in the early days.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn