WTB "Eddy Current Tester

A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

The first obvious answer would be eBay?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Gunner, A eddy current tester can test a wide range of things, from how close the tester is to a metal surface to detecting cracks in and under surface of a metal. Be sure that any eddy current test you find will do the job for your customers.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Lindemuth

Don't know about hardness, but I saw one used to check the threads on an aluminum SCUBA tank. Found some cracks that you wouldn't have otherwise seen.

I believe it's now a federal law that the aluminum tanks be checked that way, so most any dive shop should have a machine or know where to find one.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Magnaflux???

Reply to
Pete

If he's wanting to check for a particular aluminum temper, he's looking for a conductivity meter that reads in %IACS(It's really an eddy current machine but easier and faster to use for that function, and temper is only assured when you have the desired conductivity and the desired hardness together.Maybe ebay or some NDT shop. Frank

Reply to
Franklin Newton

First and fastest is to find out if he is looking for a particular make or model. Does he have friends that can reccomend such? Then at least you can search for specifics.

The electronic magic amounts to a coil inducing a magnetic field in the metal under it, and reading the resultant magnetic flux from the eddy current so created. Flaws will cause concentrations of flux lines that indicate stronger. Hardness and composition also affect readings, thus it can test For those, with the right equipment.

There is a pile of technology, both new and old that can be found. In addition to the machine itself, there will be a need to have the right coils and calibration testing samples.

$$$

Non Destructive Testing (NDT) or Non Destructive Inspection (NDI) websites or companies could be likely to lead you towards what is needed. Without knowing exactly what your guy needs (make,model,part number), you and he could spend a pile of money and still not have anything useful.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones