Your Grandfather's Apprenticeship

Pappy was a Navy machinist (WWI & WWII vet). Dad was a Tool and Die maker who served his apprenticeship at Yale & Towne and Thompson Bros. Older Brother is a Tool and Die maker who served his apprenticeship in a local T&D shop and now works for Sikorsky.

Me? I'm an I/O Psychologist , of all things, who was home-schooled by Dad and Brother as a home shop machinist. I believe my apprecticeship is ongoing...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

Third generation...the very essence of tradition. Your belief is well founded; apprenticeship is a lifelong pursuit. Thank you...

Reply to
daclark

Yikes.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Robin S. wrote in article ...

If the fact that I was a teacher surprises you, the idea that I had the highest placement rate - graduates going on to work in the specific field for which they trained - out of 16 Vocational programs in the entire school for the last five years I taught should REALLY twist your shorts.

Reply to
*

I cannot agree with your opinion regarding apprenticeships being a waste of time and stiffling innovation. How can one innovate when he does not know how to build current products correctly?

If you have not been exposed to a job where people work for more than a decade and are still not entirely competent, you may not appriciate the value of apprenticeships and the value of a competent journeymen.

I'm not dismissing your profession or industry, but I'm not sure you appriciate where professional machinists and toolmakers/moldmakers are coming from.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.