Zero Setters (For Tool Length Offsetting in CNC's)

BottleBob wrote in news:Z9ydnVNN7Ziz6anWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Which brings up the question of why can't someone make an electronic DTI that transmits via blutooth or somesuch to a unit with a LARGE LCD screen that you can hold in your hand and read with failing eye sight while the DTI is up inside the dark machine in some hard to get at place?

Reply to
D Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Anyone using a webcam type camera to remotely monitor CNC? I live close to the shop & do lights out machining often. It would be nice to do a check before going to bed just to see if all is ok. Things like momentary power spike/drop - network glitch- machine software hangup ect have stoped the machine at night. Its always a sinking feeling coming in in the morning with the red light flashing.

Reply to
cncmillgil

Z snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

dlink has a dcs-900; it has a 2.4 ghz wireless remote network capabilities. I've had mine for about 2 years now, I'm sure the technology has improved on the capability and the price. I use it to record activity at my home when I'm away, wirelessly sending the image to 2 old non-descript systems that record. I works well enough after I replaced the antenta.

Reply to
raamman

a CNC is to use

cranking up the

heck, one needs a thick skin in this business huh ? the one application that I did not consider for the zero-setter was setting an entire carosel. Usually, my/ our practice is to maintain tool standardization, tools being left in the same place for the most part and special tools being set up for the job when required.This generally means set up one or two tools and a jo block in my pocket if I need or want to do a check. I'll try the dowel. Thank you for your time.

Reply to
raamman

R:

Truer words were never spoken.

Every job shop is obviously going to be a little different. The wide range and type of work we did it didn't really allow for standardized tooling to remain in place from job to job. So a half carousel (10 tools), & sometimes a full carousel (20) were needed to be reset. Usually we only made 3 to 5 parts, and then it was on to the next job. And they weren't normally family of parts type jobs.

Reply to
BottleBob