2517 Taper-Lock Key Dimensions

Having a senior moment over key sizes.
Have two 2517 taper-lock bushes, some sites give the key as 14mm, some as 16mm
wide and no set key thickness.
Has anyone got a definitve key size?
It doesn't look square material, the keyway in the bush isn't deep enough for that.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

Peter,I would say 14mm wide assuming it`s 50mm bore..55mm bore is 16mm wide. Keys in taperlock bushes should always be clear on the top,fit on the sides only. Fenner dimensions are here. http://www.fptgroup.com/fenner.asp?title=Taper-Lock-Bushes&pageid &68 Mark

Thanks, Mark:
I downloaded that page at the factory today, but I was looking at the height of the key which looks quite thin unless we make the slot deeper than the 3.8mm suggested by those sizes, working on 2 X 3.8mm for total thickness/depth.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

I was taught that in theory the taperlock bush will hold without a key unless it will be subject to shock loads.It used to mention in the little leaflet that came with the genuine Fenner bushes to make sure there was top clearance in the key. I haven`t bought genuine Fenner stuff since they sold out to ????? before Eriks.
Mark.

It's the one you got for me a month or so ago with the polygroove pulley.
I'll get some key steel and make up a couple of keys at 14mm wide.
Thanks for the input.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

That was my education as well If you've ever had a taper loose on the shaft the key shears in no time (making a mess of both tapers.) Guilty as charged
I recall that the Blackburn twin cam engine of the 30's had tapers for the camshaft gears with no keyways. Not conducive to a quuick strip down.
Charles