ajustable reamers

I blame all this bad spelling on that mobile phone texting thing. The latest news is that they have a project to turn famous books into text messages. A good example of this sad practice can be seen on the BBC site here

under question no. 4.

And while we're on the subject of spelling, what about pronunciation? I hate it when the newsreaders say controversy with the accent on the last sylllable instead of the middle one, and the now national adoption of saying 'cassle' instead of castle. Perfectly alright if you're a geordie or around that neck of the woods, but rings odd with the rest of us. Not that I can complain about regional accents as I'm deep in the heart of Suffolk.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

radio.ham

Its early:-p , I'm only on my 2nd pot of coffee......

Reply to
Peter Neill

My 30 year old dictionary gives both

My pet hate is that the media mob have been doing their best to change 'research' as a noun with a soft 'e' into 'rEsearch' with a hard 'e', which actually has a different meaning, yet when used as a verb they generally use the soft 'e'. I was listening to an announcer on BBC NW news the other morning doing a piece which involved lots of use of bouth noun and verb, the poor girl obviously had trouble deciding how to say it.

Moan over.

Tim

Tim Leech

...and why are wrong numbers never engaged? --

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) ..."There must be an easier way...!"

Reply to
christopher

In message , Peter Neill writes

[snip]

I have no problem with regional accents - as a kid I was bi-lingual "BBC received English" at home and "East London Cockney" just about everywhere else. That was more than fifty years ago, I can't "do cockney" as a cold conscious effort but these days but give me 48 hours in the company of an East Londoner annit awl comes back eggin.

However the thing that really gets up my nose is those in-numerates who say "less" (continuous variable) when they mean "fewer" (discrete variable).

Reply to
Mike H

Arrived today - what a nice man you are! Free 316-S11 bar!

Thanks very much. Anytime I can return the favour ...

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Very Sharp Tool

At work we have a Victor Meldrew who gets hot under the collar about the BT phrase : 'The caller withheld their number'

My wife's ire is raised by the modern tendency to a rising inflection at the end of a sentence that is itself not a question. She thinks this is the result of putting Neighbours on during children's viewing time and subjecting them to Australian at an impressionable age.

Personally I'm pragmatic about language as long as it does the job of communicating. One the the engineers - with the most engineering nous I have ever worked with - once gave me a docket to take to the stores which included 'axsor blades'. I knew what he meant.

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

Indeed. My tooth-grinder is the often-heard "abdicate" instead of "abrogate", but I was a little heartened to hear "arrogate" used correctly on Radio Four (where else?) the other day.

- and a little humour.

"Who led the pedants revolt?"

"Dunno."

"Which Tyler."

Regards,

Kim Siddorn. Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

And I. (Hope you all note that). My daughter in law was an inflection riser until I had the opportunity, one day, of suggesting Australian women turn statements into questions because, in their society, they are dominated, and are really seeking approval. Seems to have worked.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

I believe that's genuinely true too.

Nice use of psychology there Ken. You couldn't really lose that one. ;

-- DX-SF

this thread:

DX-SFX