Astra L2/L4 Horizontal Milling Machine

Just to keep all of you posted on this, I still have not received m

spindle so there is nothing thast I can say of it other than this. Wha I can add is that the supplier has offered a MT 2 quill but I am stil waiting for further details.

Dave and I have exchanged a couple of messages off this line and a soon as any news comes in I will let you know.

Rgd

-- Lathework

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Latheworks's Profile:

this thread:

Latheworks

Hello to all of you once more! Well the spindle finally and I can sa

that it is indeed small, more than small its puny! But this is mor than compensated for the quality of the casting and the spindle!

It will not be too hard to adapto to the Asta but what does worry me i that it will look rather ridiculous! Like I said, it is robust and wel made but I think that it will only be a temporary arrangement somethin to get by while I build a casting for a "proper" milling head.

Never received any reply at all as to the MT2 version and honestly just gave up after asking some 6-7 times!!!

In any case, I did manage to find out that in Italy, the origina milling head is still sold all be it for more than what the millin machine is worth at some 1400?!!!

I was wondering if anybody would carer to shar the casting project wit me i.e. exchanging ideas for the casting itself as well as the machinin part

-- Lathework

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Latheworks's Profile:

this thread:

Latheworks

Hi Latheworks

I tried to contact you direct earlier this month to see how things were going, but unfortunatly the e mail bouced back - do you have a new e mail address?

With regard to your question on develpoing a casting for a vertical head for the Astra, I have not considered this idea, what are your thoughts on what you would want from the design, how would it be attached to the main body, spindle drive, fixed or quill feed?

drop me a note with your ideas.

I am now in the process of dismantling my Astra for cleaning up and repainting.

Cheers for now.

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

Hi Dave & Co.!

Sorry for delay in getting back to you but I have been rather tied u with recent job changes (again!!!). :mad:

Yes I did change email address but not our of my own will but courtes Telefonica (sort of like BT here in Spain) after changing to a ne digital cable supplier. Lost my web page and email addresses w/o prio warning!!! :censored: :censored:

My idea was to make an exact duplicate of the original head but with n quick down feed quill. Why? Well, I need as much rigidity as possibl and machining limitations dictate this sort of arrangement.

Like I said, the milling head is still available but at a cos

There is not much information available but I think that I could manag to make the patterns based on the couple of photos that I have. Anybod care to contribute more photos? :rolleyes:

New email address snipped-for-privacy@latheworks.REMOVETHIS.ne

-- Lathework

this thread:

Latheworks