Bit OT - TIG Welder pedals

I've got a Cebora TIG Inverter that I want to add a pedal to, but I grudge paying £180 (that's for one from Heliarc - I'm sure the genuine item was a good bit more) for something that doesn't get used much.

I've got a pin out diagram of the connector, and all it needs is a potentiometer across three of the pins. However, I've not got any idea of what resistance will be needed, but I notice the heliarc pedals would seem to be a standard pedal, with a connector added to suit different welders.

Does anybody know what resistance pots are typically used in TIG pedals?

I can measure the voltage across the connectors on the welder if it'll help.

Reply to
moray

If you can wait a few days I will measure the resistance on the one I hav= e.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Pretty sure I recall seeing 10K ohm come up, fairly often.

Dunno that you could do any harm....

From

shows 5K, and a few other components for an airco.

has lots of info, as well as cct diagrams, though the one I looked at had no value given.

It's a start...

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I think I need to refine my google efforts! Thanks for those links. They've certainly given me some ideas, andI'll probably go for a 10k pot to start with.

I figure that as it's an inverter, going for a higher resistance is less likely to cause any magic smoke to be released.

moray

Reply to
moray

If you can wait a few days I will measure the resistance on the one I have.

If you could, and it's not too much hassle, I'd be grateful. It's always better to have a definitive answer, rather than some if's, but's or maybe's of the interweb.

Reply to
moray