"Burping" induction furnaces

Does anyone know how this is done?

eg:

8:34 at
4:06 at

the metal has melted, and they mix it somehow by pressing a button.

thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

An induction furnace can (does!) induce a strong circulating current in the melt and this can make the melt swirl - I assume the button is altering the induction driver to maximise this effect.

You want an Induction Furnace? I have one that I haven't re-commissioned since moving here a few years ago - I'm sure we can negotiate a deal :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I thought that the whole purpose of moving to somewhere that you could use jump leads on the overhead power lines was to run the furnace without having to use the generator!

Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

Mark, I did have a 160 amp per phase three phase 415v supply run in specifically for the furnace but other projects keep popping up and stopping me. I even had a fire proof building put up for it, then it got filled with other stuff ! Hopefully it'll get to the top of the list before they put me in a nursing home!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sounds like a big piece of kit, maybe like one put in near me many years ago where the company had to have a new big electric feed put in for the induction furnace. I've only seen a couple of other induction heaters/melters, one was in Norfolk and the guy used it for silver soldering some medical gas regulator parts and IIRC old enough to use valves but still worked well for the job but a big beast. The other was in the QC lab at Hoesch steel in Dortmund Germany and was used to melt and cast samples for optical emission analysis of the steel, no idea of the internals but it cast a piece you could hold in your hand and was about the size of a standard 3 drawer filing cabinet.

Reply to
David Billington

It's 100 kW and all semiconductor :)

Comes with two 'furnace bodies' that look like concrete mixers. One is a conventional tilt for for pouring into a ladle or direct to the mould, the other is an 'invert' type where the mould is clamped to the top of the furnace body and the whole thing inverts dumping the charge into the mould.

Andrew

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson