Ceramic Chip Forge

A month or so ago I bought a very nice Flamefast ceramic chip forge from a very nice chap. With it came a bag of "ceramic chips" (in an old sack sealed with a
cable tie). When I opened the bag today I thought that the chips looked rather like the sweepings from a gravel drive rather than what I supposed "ceramic chips" should look like. Are they supposed to look like that (a bit like pea shingle but with less rounded shapes)
Thanks
Charles
Add pictures here
✖

that
Yes Charles, they are spectacularly unimpressive but vastly expensive if bought from Flamefast (iirc £80 when I got mine about ten year ago) Anyone know another source as mine are getting thin on the ground now?
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 2, 7:51 am, "Andrew Mawson"

Thanks Andrew. That's what I hoped would be said. I'll give them a try
Charles
Add pictures here
✖
Well ..The proof of the puddling is in the (h)eating...

Thanks Andrew. That's what I hoped would be said. I'll give them a try
Charles
Add pictures here
✖
Andrew Mawson wrote:

How many kg did you get for £80. I've been wondering about trying to make some from refractory castable as I have 1600C and 1800C rated castables. They cost about £25 and £50 per 25kg respectively but I thought trying 5kg worth might be sufficient.
Add pictures here
✖

forge
rather
supposed
expensive
ago)
now?
Mark it was YEARS ago so can't quote weight due to the death of grey cells - it was just enough to fill the bowl of the ceramic chip furnace, and supplied as Charles says in a sack tied up with a Ty-Wrap. I would guess at about half a bucket full so perhaps a gallon. They are extremely hard and resist crushing (just like pea shingle!!!)
AWEM
Add pictures here
✖
replying to Andrew Mawson, John Patterson wrote: sorry about the thread resurrection but..... Has any one found a cheap supplier of the ceramic chips? thanks in advance John
Add pictures here
✖