Ceramic Chip Forge

A month or so ago I bought a very nice Flamefast ceramic chip forge
from a very nice chap.
With it came a bag of "ceramic chips" (in an old sack sealed with a
cable tie).
When I opened the bag today I thought that the chips looked rather
like the sweepings from a gravel drive rather than what I supposed
"ceramic chips" should look like. Are they supposed to look like that
(a bit like pea shingle but with less rounded shapes)
Thanks
Charles
Reply to
Charles
Yes Charles, they are spectacularly unimpressive but vastly expensive if bought from Flamefast (iirc £80 when I got mine about ten year ago) Anyone know another source as mine are getting thin on the ground now?
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Well ..The proof of the puddling is in the (h)eating...
Thanks Andrew. That's what I hoped would be said. I'll give them a try
Charles
Reply to
DaveC
How many kg did you get for £80. I've been wondering about trying to make some from refractory castable as I have 1600C and 1800C rated castables. They cost about £25 and £50 per 25kg respectively but I thought trying 5kg worth might be sufficient.
Reply to
David Billington
rather
supposed
expensive
Mark it was YEARS ago so can't quote weight due to the death of grey cells - it was just enough to fill the bowl of the ceramic chip furnace, and supplied as Charles says in a sack tied up with a Ty-Wrap. I would guess at about half a bucket full so perhaps a gallon. They are extremely hard and resist crushing (just like pea shingle!!!)
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Site Timeline