Cheap Chinese Boring Head

In spite of John's solicitous enquiry I did not trash my dial by an accidental motor startup but I did get fed up with craning my neck and messing about with mirrors to read the dial gauge when placed in awkward positions.

I thought a remote readout would be rather nice so I tried a few experiments using a surplus 400Hz synchro as a sensor. It turned out surprisingly well and I now have remote reading +/-0.020" and +/_0.002" full scale two range lever type electronic dial gauge.

The circuitry is pretty simple and non critical- a

555 timer and one quad opamp. Although it's designed round a synchro sensor it could also be used with a linear inductive sensor and could be pushed to microinch sensitivity.

It' a long way off mainstream group activity but if there's any interest I'll post the circuit diagram and a few pictures.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

I'm interested - I've got a commercial inductive dial gauge with no display head but thought I needed analogue multiplier circuitry to read it.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I've posted these files in the metalworking drop boX

dial gauge.txt Circuit diagram.jpg Synchro Sensor.jpg Clocking Workpiece.jpg

They're scattered through the list because I forgot to group them under one heading!

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Thanks - I've retrieved them and will let you know how I get on when I get around to trying it out.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin